Deseret News Jazz beat writer Jody Genessy wins Professional Basketball Writers Association award
Spencer Hall, Salt City Hoops
Jazz guard Trey Burke, the Skills Challenge champion, wasn't the only one from Utah who won something in New Orleans during All-Star weekend.
Deseret News sportswriter Jody Genessy, in his sixth year covering the Utah Jazz, was honored for his writing by the Professional Basketball Writers Association at its annual meeting prior to the NBA All-Star Game on Sunday at Smoothie King Center.
Genessy won third place in the game story category of the prestigious PBWA Best Writing Contest for 2013. He received recognition for his Dec. 22 story, "Bobcats' Big Al gets fun letter from Kanter and a loss from old team."
The Boston Globe's Baxter Holmes took first place for his game story on Doc Rivers' return as Clippers coach. Heat beat writer Ethan Skolnick of The Palm Beach Post placed second for an article on Miami's Game 6 thriller in the 2013 NBA Finals.
In the features category, Holmes won the top award for a three-part series on new coach Brad Stevens; ESPN.com's Brian Windhorst took second and Grantland's Jonathan Abrams placed third.
The columns category winners: 1. Kevin Arnovitz, ESPN.com, for his column on Jason Collins' announcement that he's gay; 2. Ramona Shelburne, ESPNLA.com; 3. Jason Lloyd, Akron Beacon Journal.
The PBWA includes about 165 writers who regularly cover the NBA and basketball for media organizations such as ESPN, Grantland.com, Sports Illustrated, USA Today, Yahoo!, newspapers, magazines and sports websites.
To read the winning stories, visit probasketballwriters.org online.
The annual contest winners were determined by three independent judges, according to the PBWA. Writers were allowed to enter two of the three categories for pieces published in 2013.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- Ex-MLB hurler winds up for Vermont governor...
- Baylor to fire football coach Art Briles,...
- Site, funding unresolved in Las Vegas NFL...
- Sister Act: Serena, Venus Williams both win...
- AP Source: David Fizdale accepts offer as...
- Art Briles built Baylor brash, bold, leaves...
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 69
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 51
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 41
- Pac-12 champs: Utah wins baseball title... 35
- Utah and UVU assigned regionals; BYU... 24
- Rose excited for near future stability,... 22
- Column: Baylor should pull plug on its... 20