Oui, oui: Tony Parker high on the future of Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz
NEW ORLEANS — If you want to make Tony Parker feel old, just ask him about his compatriot Rudy Gobert.
“I’ve never played with Rudy,” the Spurs point guard said. “He’s too young.”
Parker, 31, and Gobert, 21, did spend about 10 days together at France’s national team training, but the Jazz center got cut.
The All-Star playmaker has watched the younger Frenchman’s career since then, though.
“A great talent. I know people are very high on him,” Parker said. “His body’s like unbelievable with his wing span.”
If you hadn’t heard, the 21-year-old Utah player is 7-foot-1 tall with a 7-foot-9 wing span.
Parker smiled when asked if he’d ever been blocked by Gobert.
“I don’t think so,” he said.
By the way, Parker is high both on Gobert and the center’s NBA team. The Spurs standout said he’s even watched a couple Jazz games on TV this season because he likes keeping up on the league’s French guys.
“It’s going to take some time, obviously. Utah’s got a very, very young team, but I think in three, four years, they’re going to be scary,” Parker said.
“They have a good point guard (in Trey Burke). They’ve got great pieces. They have a great GM with Dennis (Lindsey) who was with the Spurs before (as an assistant general manager). I know he’s going to do great stuff with that. They’re going to be really good.”
Parker looks forward to playing with Gobert in international competition.
“I hope Rudy will keep improving,” Parker said. “I know this summer he’s going to go with the national team. He’s going to be a big piece for us. I’ll play with him with the national team hopefully if nobody gets hurt.”
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16