Oui, oui: Tony Parker high on the future of Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz
NEW ORLEANS — If you want to make Tony Parker feel old, just ask him about his compatriot Rudy Gobert.
“I’ve never played with Rudy,” the Spurs point guard said. “He’s too young.”
Parker, 31, and Gobert, 21, did spend about 10 days together at France’s national team training, but the Jazz center got cut.
The All-Star playmaker has watched the younger Frenchman’s career since then, though.
“A great talent. I know people are very high on him,” Parker said. “His body’s like unbelievable with his wing span.”
If you hadn’t heard, the 21-year-old Utah player is 7-foot-1 tall with a 7-foot-9 wing span.
Parker smiled when asked if he’d ever been blocked by Gobert.
“I don’t think so,” he said.
By the way, Parker is high both on Gobert and the center’s NBA team. The Spurs standout said he’s even watched a couple Jazz games on TV this season because he likes keeping up on the league’s French guys.
“It’s going to take some time, obviously. Utah’s got a very, very young team, but I think in three, four years, they’re going to be scary,” Parker said.
“They have a good point guard (in Trey Burke). They’ve got great pieces. They have a great GM with Dennis (Lindsey) who was with the Spurs before (as an assistant general manager). I know he’s going to do great stuff with that. They’re going to be really good.”
Parker looks forward to playing with Gobert in international competition.
“I hope Rudy will keep improving,” Parker said. “I know this summer he’s going to go with the national team. He’s going to be a big piece for us. I’ll play with him with the national team hopefully if nobody gets hurt.”
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 48
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes 24