“The family takes care of the business and the business takes care of the family,” he says. “There are good times and times that aren’t so good, but the family is always there and we take care of each other.”
Very few outsiders have been on the payroll over the past half-century. Today, if you go in the shop, you’ll find Norm repairing the cuckoo clocks; Pam working on the books; their son Joseph working on battery and quartz clocks as well as spearheading the retail end of things; another son, Adam, fixing the antique clocks; and yet another son, Aaron, at his desk repairing wristwatches. Norm’s brother, Tom, is also there every day.
The only son not in the business is Jared, who left five years ago to launch a sales career of his own. Norm and Pam’s three daughters, Kirsten, Marlayna and Annaliese, have also taken their turns working the counter.
“Everyone’s learned how to work,” beams Norm, who notes that Joseph’s oldest son, Sam, just turned 11 and isn’t long from becoming the next in a long line of Recksieks to find employment in the shop. He represents the fifth generation.
“They say family businesses have a hard time beyond the third generation,” says Norm, who still repairs clocks in the same downstairs room as his grandfather 50-plus years ago, “but we’re trying not to change and just keep doing what we’ve always done.”
What worked for Heinrich is working for them.
Lee Benson's About Utah column runs Mondays. Email: email@example.com
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 43
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23