“The family takes care of the business and the business takes care of the family,” he says. “There are good times and times that aren’t so good, but the family is always there and we take care of each other.”
Very few outsiders have been on the payroll over the past half-century. Today, if you go in the shop, you’ll find Norm repairing the cuckoo clocks; Pam working on the books; their son Joseph working on battery and quartz clocks as well as spearheading the retail end of things; another son, Adam, fixing the antique clocks; and yet another son, Aaron, at his desk repairing wristwatches. Norm’s brother, Tom, is also there every day.
The only son not in the business is Jared, who left five years ago to launch a sales career of his own. Norm and Pam’s three daughters, Kirsten, Marlayna and Annaliese, have also taken their turns working the counter.
“Everyone’s learned how to work,” beams Norm, who notes that Joseph’s oldest son, Sam, just turned 11 and isn’t long from becoming the next in a long line of Recksieks to find employment in the shop. He represents the fifth generation.
“They say family businesses have a hard time beyond the third generation,” says Norm, who still repairs clocks in the same downstairs room as his grandfather 50-plus years ago, “but we’re trying not to change and just keep doing what we’ve always done.”
What worked for Heinrich is working for them.
Lee Benson's About Utah column runs Mondays. Email: email@example.com
- UDOT announces road project schedule for 2015
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to dial...
- Can you name your U.S. Representative? See...
- Eagle Mountain man killed in alleged domestic...
- Educators call for funding, legislation to...
- Hope in a crisis: School, community leaders...
- Doug Robinson: Managing a delicate balance
- Washington Terrace woman found dead, 2 in...
- Officer in parade controversy speaks... 267
- Gov. Herbert increases pressure on... 52
- Illinois professor could help Utah... 43
- House Speaker Greg Hughes kills hopes... 34
- Utah Senate rejects delay to Count My... 20
- Lawmakers consider academic turnaround... 17
- Some GOP House members disagree with... 17
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 17