The Stockton Thunder (24-20-0-5) defeated the Utah Grizzlies (24-18-3-5), 1-0, on Saturday night at Stockton Arena as the Grizzlies ended their season-long nine-game road trip at 6-2-0-1.
Utah goaltender Aaron Dell (14-5-0-2) stopped 26 of 27 shots, and Utah’s penalty-kill went 7-7 against Stockton’s top ranked ECHL power-play as the Grizzlies completed seven games in 11 nights in five different cities.
Stockton scored the lone goal in the contest with 2:32 left in the second period as Dell made a save on a screened shot that then careened in front for Stockton to tap in.
Utah had some close near misses in the final three minutes as it looked to come from behind in the third period for the third time in the last four road games before a packed Stockton Arena crowd.
The Grizzlies return home Monday for a 1:35 p.m. start time for Maverik Monday on President’s Day.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Cougars take center stage...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 36
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 25