Westminster lacrosse: Men's team defeats Utah State, 19-6, in season opener
The No. 24 Westminster College men’s lacrosse team opened the 2104 campaign with a 19-6 win at Utah State on Saturday afternoon.
Westminster (1-0) raced out to a 6-2 lead after the first quarter and then dominated the second quarter, 5-0, to lead 11-2 at halftime. The Griffins outscored Utah State (0-1), 8-4, in the second 30 minutes to earn the victory.
Elias Fairman led the Griffin attack with five goals and one assist for six points. Kyle Postler and Eric Crosby scored three goals apiece with Josh Holland recording two goals and three assists. Jake Berard won nine faceoffs and claimed six ground balls. Chris Burckle made five saves in three quarters to secure the victory in cage.
The Griffins will now embark on a three-game road trip that begins at UNLV on Feb. 21.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34