Westminster lacrosse: Men's team defeats Utah State, 19-6, in season opener
The No. 24 Westminster College men’s lacrosse team opened the 2104 campaign with a 19-6 win at Utah State on Saturday afternoon.
Westminster (1-0) raced out to a 6-2 lead after the first quarter and then dominated the second quarter, 5-0, to lead 11-2 at halftime. The Griffins outscored Utah State (0-1), 8-4, in the second 30 minutes to earn the victory.
Elias Fairman led the Griffin attack with five goals and one assist for six points. Kyle Postler and Eric Crosby scored three goals apiece with Josh Holland recording two goals and three assists. Jake Berard won nine faceoffs and claimed six ground balls. Chris Burckle made five saves in three quarters to secure the victory in cage.
The Griffins will now embark on a three-game road trip that begins at UNLV on Feb. 21.
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Utah Jazz select Baylor forward Taurean...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- 76ers take Ben Simmons with No. 1 pick in NBA...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 150
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 61
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 38
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 32
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 19