Westminster lacrosse: Men's team defeats Utah State, 19-6, in season opener
The No. 24 Westminster College men’s lacrosse team opened the 2104 campaign with a 19-6 win at Utah State on Saturday afternoon.
Westminster (1-0) raced out to a 6-2 lead after the first quarter and then dominated the second quarter, 5-0, to lead 11-2 at halftime. The Griffins outscored Utah State (0-1), 8-4, in the second 30 minutes to earn the victory.
Elias Fairman led the Griffin attack with five goals and one assist for six points. Kyle Postler and Eric Crosby scored three goals apiece with Josh Holland recording two goals and three assists. Jake Berard won nine faceoffs and claimed six ground balls. Chris Burckle made five saves in three quarters to secure the victory in cage.
The Griffins will now embark on a three-game road trip that begins at UNLV on Feb. 21.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33