Westminster lacrosse: Men's team defeats Utah State, 19-6, in season opener
The No. 24 Westminster College men’s lacrosse team opened the 2104 campaign with a 19-6 win at Utah State on Saturday afternoon.
Westminster (1-0) raced out to a 6-2 lead after the first quarter and then dominated the second quarter, 5-0, to lead 11-2 at halftime. The Griffins outscored Utah State (0-1), 8-4, in the second 30 minutes to earn the victory.
Elias Fairman led the Griffin attack with five goals and one assist for six points. Kyle Postler and Eric Crosby scored three goals apiece with Josh Holland recording two goals and three assists. Jake Berard won nine faceoffs and claimed six ground balls. Chris Burckle made five saves in three quarters to secure the victory in cage.
The Griffins will now embark on a three-game road trip that begins at UNLV on Feb. 21.
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 147
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 48
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27