Westminster lacrosse: Men's team defeats Utah State, 19-6, in season opener
The No. 24 Westminster College men’s lacrosse team opened the 2104 campaign with a 19-6 win at Utah State on Saturday afternoon.
Westminster (1-0) raced out to a 6-2 lead after the first quarter and then dominated the second quarter, 5-0, to lead 11-2 at halftime. The Griffins outscored Utah State (0-1), 8-4, in the second 30 minutes to earn the victory.
Elias Fairman led the Griffin attack with five goals and one assist for six points. Kyle Postler and Eric Crosby scored three goals apiece with Josh Holland recording two goals and three assists. Jake Berard won nine faceoffs and claimed six ground balls. Chris Burckle made five saves in three quarters to secure the victory in cage.
The Griffins will now embark on a three-game road trip that begins at UNLV on Feb. 21.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48