Shani Davis will leave 2014 Olympics without an individual medal but with an impressive legacy
He said knowing that he did all he could brings him some comfort. He is meticulous about his training, even detailing it in journals.
“It makes me question some of the things that I’ve done leading up to these races,” he said. “And I’m not necessarily sure what is to blame for whatever. I know that whatever happened that day (the 1,000) took a big toll on me. And it was really hard for me to build myself and go out there and think that I’m the world’s fastest skater, when in reality I’m coming across the line in eighth.”
He may look at his training and preparation and try to figure out what went wrong. That may help him decide whether he will retire or not, but he knows it won’t change what happened in Sochi.
“I’m content, man,” he said. “This is my fourth Olympics. In 2006 and 2010 I had success, and I would have loved to have one of my last Olympic races end with a medal to be the cherry on top. I have all the bells and whistles (in my career). I just didn’t get any from Sochi.”
There is still a chance that Davis will skate the team pursuit. If he does, there is one more chance for a medal, but he’s leaving that decision up to the coaches.
He said he is unsure what’s next for him and whether it’s retirement or another year on the World Cup circuit.
“It’s done. I’m moving forward,” he said. “I’m disappointed, but that’s all I could have done. When you have these performances of 11th and eighth, you start questioning whether you still have what it takes. I think after things calm down, we’ll see what I have left in me.”
Twitter: adonsports EMAIL: email@example.com
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7