Shani Davis will leave 2014 Olympics without an individual medal but with an impressive legacy
He said knowing that he did all he could brings him some comfort. He is meticulous about his training, even detailing it in journals.
“It makes me question some of the things that I’ve done leading up to these races,” he said. “And I’m not necessarily sure what is to blame for whatever. I know that whatever happened that day (the 1,000) took a big toll on me. And it was really hard for me to build myself and go out there and think that I’m the world’s fastest skater, when in reality I’m coming across the line in eighth.”
He may look at his training and preparation and try to figure out what went wrong. That may help him decide whether he will retire or not, but he knows it won’t change what happened in Sochi.
“I’m content, man,” he said. “This is my fourth Olympics. In 2006 and 2010 I had success, and I would have loved to have one of my last Olympic races end with a medal to be the cherry on top. I have all the bells and whistles (in my career). I just didn’t get any from Sochi.”
There is still a chance that Davis will skate the team pursuit. If he does, there is one more chance for a medal, but he’s leaving that decision up to the coaches.
He said he is unsure what’s next for him and whether it’s retirement or another year on the World Cup circuit.
“It’s done. I’m moving forward,” he said. “I’m disappointed, but that’s all I could have done. When you have these performances of 11th and eighth, you start questioning whether you still have what it takes. I think after things calm down, we’ll see what I have left in me.”
Twitter: adonsports EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 107
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20