Damian Lillard and Trey Burke combine to win NBA Skills Challenge by a tenth of a second
“It was a great experience overall, to be able to experience it with my family,” he said. “And not too many people could say they were a part of All-Star weekend, obviously.”
The ambitious 2013 NCAA player of the year hopes to make this an annual affair.
“I got bigger goals and some day I want to become an All-Star,” he said. “Seeing Damian, as young as he is, become an All-Star, it motivates me.”
There were Utah connections in all four events Saturday night.
Hall of Famer Karl Malone participated in the Shooting Stars competition and made it to the finals where his team, which included Kevin Durant and WNBA standout Skylar Diggins, lost to Chris Bosh, Dominique Wilkins and Swin Cash.
Malone, who lives about a five-hour drive away in Ruston, La., agreed to be in the competition after receiving an invitation from the NBA. The Mailman especially enjoyed that his kids were able to attend and take part in the festivities with him.
Although Malone missed a couple of shots from the top of the key and was off on all of his half-court attempts, the 50-year-old looked to be in good enough shape to come out of retirement.
Don’t count on that.
"It’s fun," he said. "But it’s going to be fun about 9 o’clock, 10 o’clock Monday when I get on my bus (I drove down here) and go fishing for a week, too. I’m looking forward to that."
Lillard looks forward to the cherry on his All-Star weekend — the actual game Sunday — but the Blazers' point guard has had a blast so far even if the Spurs' Marco Belinelli won the 3-point contest and the Wizards' John Wall was voted as the dunking champ.
"It was exciting for me all day," Lillard said. "But to be able to do the (Challenge) again and be the Skills champ again along with Trey, it was a great feeling."
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault, riot...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as too...
- BYU football: The Nebraska Cornhuskers in 6...
- The top 25 NBA players under 25: Where do...
- BYU's Mendenhall, Nebraska's Riley have long...
- Red and blue recruits: Jaren Hall excited for...
- BYU football notebook: Experience should be...
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in season...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 74
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 58
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 32
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 29
- Morning links: Will Michigan beat Utah?... 26
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 25