Damian Lillard and Trey Burke combine to win NBA Skills Challenge by a tenth of a second
“It was a great experience overall, to be able to experience it with my family,” he said. “And not too many people could say they were a part of All-Star weekend, obviously.”
The ambitious 2013 NCAA player of the year hopes to make this an annual affair.
“I got bigger goals and some day I want to become an All-Star,” he said. “Seeing Damian, as young as he is, become an All-Star, it motivates me.”
There were Utah connections in all four events Saturday night.
Hall of Famer Karl Malone participated in the Shooting Stars competition and made it to the finals where his team, which included Kevin Durant and WNBA standout Skylar Diggins, lost to Chris Bosh, Dominique Wilkins and Swin Cash.
Malone, who lives about a five-hour drive away in Ruston, La., agreed to be in the competition after receiving an invitation from the NBA. The Mailman especially enjoyed that his kids were able to attend and take part in the festivities with him.
Although Malone missed a couple of shots from the top of the key and was off on all of his half-court attempts, the 50-year-old looked to be in good enough shape to come out of retirement.
Don’t count on that.
"It’s fun," he said. "But it’s going to be fun about 9 o’clock, 10 o’clock Monday when I get on my bus (I drove down here) and go fishing for a week, too. I’m looking forward to that."
Lillard looks forward to the cherry on his All-Star weekend — the actual game Sunday — but the Blazers' point guard has had a blast so far even if the Spurs' Marco Belinelli won the 3-point contest and the Wizards' John Wall was voted as the dunking champ.
"It was exciting for me all day," Lillard said. "But to be able to do the (Challenge) again and be the Skills champ again along with Trey, it was a great feeling."
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Live streams: 1A volleyball tournament...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- BYU football: Five questions with a Middle...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 79
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 53
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 36
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 34