Arlene Gowar led BYU women's track and field Saturday at the Air Force Collegiate Open in Colorado Springs.
The Cougars split up and half of the team traveled to Seattle to compete in the Husky Classic. The Husky Classic is traditionally a great venue for long distance runners, while the Air Force Collegiate Open is better designed for power events.
“There were a lot of improvements and good marks today,” hurdles and jumps coach Mark Robison said. “So we are just looking ahead to the MPSF meet and what’s ahead. There were a lot of really good performances today.”
Gowar had a phenomenal performance in the 200m and won first place with a time of 24.61. She also finished in second place in the 60 meters with a time of 7.55, while the first place finisher had a time of 7.54.
Freshman Nicole Laws won second place in the 60m hurdles with a time of 8.63.
Rachel Fisher finished in third place in the pole vault with a height of 3.85m. Elizabeth Wilson finished in third place in the long jump with a mark of 5.58m. Chloe Richardson took third place in the triple jump with a mark of 11.89m.
Deezbaa Whaley continued her streak in the weight throw, taking third place with a mark 18.55m.
In Seattle, freshman Shea Martinez finished in third place with a loaded field in the 800 meters with a time of 2:08.68, bringing her even closer to qualifying for nationals.
Full results for the meet in Washington can be found on the Huskies website.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- Reports: BYU's Chase Fischer to play for...
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts addiction by...
- Randy Hollis: Finally, the state's 'Big Four'...
- College football countdown No. 39: BYU...
- BYU football: Certain games on the schedule...
- 10 local storylines to follow as NFL training...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 15
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7
- Reports: BYU's Chase Fischer to play... 4