The No. 66 BYU men’s tennis team fell to No. 53 San Diego State, 6-1, on Saturday at the Fertitta Tennis Complex.
“We played a good San Diego State team,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “We had opportunities at No. 1 doubles but ended up falling a little short for the doubles point. We competed well at every position.”
The Cougars (5-6) fell to the Aztecs (4-2) to split the road trip to Las Vegas with one win and one loss.
Highlighting singles action for BYU was No. 91 Francis Sargeant. The captain topped Thorsten Bertsch in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3.
At second singles, sophomore Andrey Goryachkov suffered a narrow loss to Hunter Nicholas after winning the first set, 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-1)
BYU fell in doubles competition as SDSU took two of three. Freshmen Robin Pfister and Matthew Pearce picked up the win at third doubles over Juan Florez and Milen Ianakiev, 6-4, while Sterling Galli and Jeremy Bourgeois fell, 6-4.
Goryachkov and Sargeant fell at first doubles, losing in the tiebreaker, 6-5 (7-4).
“We’re looking forward to having a week of practice and preparing for our match against Utah,” coach Pearce said.
The Cougars are on the road against in-state rival Utah for the Deseret First Duel on Saturday at 5 p.m. MST.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- BYU football: Jamaal Williams provides...
- Poppinga has endured dark times before, hopes...
- Norm Chow: From offensive coordinator maestro...
- BYU's Logan Taele has become a key cog in...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Plenty of blame to go around for... 25
- Utah State leads local schools in newly... 22