Jordan Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah Alumni Association will celebrate the accomplishments of five alumni and one honorary alumnus.
The Distinguished Alumni awards commemorate the founding of the University of Utah on Feb. 28, 1850, and will be presented during the annual Founders Day banquet, Thursday, Feb. 20, at the Little America Hotel.
This year's award recipients are Kem Gardner, co-founder of the Boyer Co.; Theodore "Ted" Jacobsen and Charlotte Garff Jacobsen of Jacobsen Construction; Frederick Kempe, a former Wall Street Journal reporter; and Donald Yacktman, president and portfolio manager of Yacktman Asset Management. John Bloomberg will receive the Honorary Alumnus Award, in recognition of his generous support of the John A. Moran Eye Center.
The Alumni Association will also recognize Juliet Kanyana, a premedical student, who is the 2014 Founders Day Scholarship recipient. The $6,000 scholarship is awarded annually to a student who has overcome difficult circumstances or challenges and has served the U. and the community.
Kanyana was 4 years old when militants attacked her village in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and she and her family were forced to flee. They reached Uganda the following year and eventually came to the United States as refugees when she was about 18.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 50
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 45
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 17
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 9
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Audit of embattled S.L. County... 7