Nationally ranked No. 91 Francis Sargeant came from behind for the win, helping No. 66 BYU men’s tennis clinch the victory, 5-2, over UNLV outdoors at the Fertitta Tennis Complex on Friday.
“It feels good to get a win,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “It was a tough transition to play our first outdoor match of the season in 80-degree heat, but our guys did a great job in adjusting to the heat and slower conditions, and they were hungry for a win today. We're looking forward to tomorrow. We should be sharper and better acclimated.”
The Cougars (5-5) gave the Rebels (4-1) their first loss of the season.
The junior Sargeant picked up his eighth singles win of the season by beating Ace Matias. After falling in the first set, 4-6, he swung the momentum in his favor, winning the final two, 6-4, 6-1.
BYU began the match by taking the doubles point. First, freshmen Sterling Galli and Jeremy Bourgeois finished off Tamas Batyi and Dimitar Petrov, 6-2. Sargeant and sophomore Andrey Goryachkov then won their match against Denys Pume and Ace Matias, 6-4.
In singles action, Bourgeois put the Cougars on the board first by ousting Willie Sublette in two sets, 6-3, 6-5 (7-5). At No. 2 singles Goryachkov beat Denys Pume in a come-from-behind win after falling in the first set, 5-6 (4-7). He decisively won the final two sets, 6-4, 6-4.
Galli also was victorious in his match by slipping past Ozzy Abraham, 6-5 (7-5), 6-4.
BYU resumes play Saturday in a match against No. 53 San Diego State at 10 a.m. PST at the Fertitta Tennis Complex.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 36
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 27
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game... 26