High school wrestling: Monticello leads 4-time defending champ Altamont in 1A tournament
WEST VALLEY CITY — Four-time defending champion Altamont was considered a clear-cut favorite to win its fifth straight title this weekend, but as the team standings indicated Friday night, no school is quite ready to hand over the trophy yet.
The Longhorns jumped out to a dominant start and owned a healthy and comfortable lead heading into the semifinal round Friday, but in a highly competitive 1A classification, no lead is ever safe.
Monticello heads into the final day of the 1A tournament with a 148-111.5 lead over the four-time defending champs. Altamont finished with an impressive five semifinal winners, but the Buckaroos showed them up with seven wrestlers who will compete in Saturday night’s championship round.
One of the more important semifinal matchups came in the 195-pound division, where Monticello’s Jake Giles knocked off Altamont’s Tony Brown 3-2 to help the Buckaroos build on their lead.
“I just didn’t get out to the side. They gave me stalling points and I wasn’t focused on getting out to the side. That’s what got me beat,” Brown said after the match. “I’ve never wrestled him before, but it was just a really tough match all around.”
The intensity was at an all-time high in the Maverik Center, as the Longhorns and Buckaroos exchanged blows in a two-team, back-and-forth battle all night long.
Monticello got the best of Altamont Friday and won the battle, but that doesn’t mean the Buckaroos will ultimately prevail Saturday.
“Everybody has just got to take thirds, and obviously the people who are in first and second have to take their matches, too,” said Brown. “We just have to have the heart and the right mindset to take it all.”
The 3A state wrestling tournament is set to continue Saturday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. at the Maverik Center.
Class 1A wrestling championships
At the Maverik Center
1. Monticello 148.0; 2. Altamont 111.5; 3. Piute 84.0 4; Rich 80.0; 5. Wayne 64.5; 6. Panguitch 55.0 7. Duchesne 54.0; 8. Bryce Valley 36.0; 9. Milford 32.0; 10. Telos Academy 18.0; 11. Escalante 6.0; 12. Diamond Ranch 4.0; 12. Monument Valley 4.0; 12. White Horse 4.0
106 — Jade Holm, Milford def. Wesley Powell, Duchesne 8-4. David VanTassell, Duchesne def. Kehl Bradbury, Wayne 5-1.
113 — Kellen Mooney, Panguitch def. Quade Fautin, Piute Fall 2:58. Tanner Jeffery, Wayne def. Andrew Baird, Monticello Fall 4:46
120 — Brady Farnsworth, Altamont def. Kolton Owens, Panguitch Inj. 2:18. Shandon Bradford, Monticello def. Chance Weahkee, Monticello 10-1.
126 — Austin Atwood, Altamont def. Austin Trapp, Piute Fall 3:14. Hunter Bowring, Monticello def. Braiden Clayburn, Duchesne Fall 1:33.
132 — Peter Cucinotti, Telos Academy def. Dailyn Warren, Monticello Fall 2:37. Zack Allen, Piute def. Kevin Bo Jessen, Altamont Fall 5:01.
138 — McClane Summarell, Duchesne def. Adam Platt, Bryce Valley Fall 2:36. Brandon Musselman, Monticello def. Drake Knight, Altamont 13-3.
145 — Benton Erickson, Piute def. Domanik Stansfield, Altamont Fall 3:59. Preston Stephenson, Wayne def. Trace Torgerson, Escalante Fall 3:14.
152 — Jayden Coburn, Piute def. Justin Hunt, Wayne Fall 5:32. Cole Eldredge, Monticello def. Max Smith, Panguitch.
160 — Derrik Thompson, Altamont def. Trenton Pearson, Milford 9-8. Dakota Clark, Rich def. Ryan Lee, Wayne 4-2.
170 — Michael Foy, Altamont def. Colter Wright, Milford Fall 1:12. Eric Anderson, Monticello def. Hunter Owens, Panguitch Fall 1:38.
182 — Shaydon Summarell, Duchesne def. Josh Rose, Bryce Valley Fall 5:30. Austin Wilcox, Monticello def. Ryley Smith, Rich Fall 0:30.
195 — Jake Giles, Monticello def. Tony Brown, Altamont 3-2. McCray Magnum, Bryce Valley def. Jacob Terry, Rich 7-2.
220 — Mason Huffaker, Rich def. Isak Pei, Wayne 7-5. Rowdy Josie, Panguitch def. Cody Mitchell, Altamont 10-1.
285 — Talon Gines, Altamont def. Jayden Thompson, Duchesne Fall 0:34. Hawkan Cornia, Rich def. Parker Knudsen, Monticello Fall 1:53.
Ryan Love is a full-time student at the University of Utah studying communications, and has been a part-time sports reporter and scoreboarder for the Deseret News since Oct. 2012.
Follow him on Twitter @RLove7724
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high...
- High school football: Defense, big plays pave...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The championship edition
- Championship Friday, live streams, stats and...
- High school football: Dixie defense comes up...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The championship edition
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- Timpview runs away from Roy, 28-7, to claim...
- Dick Harmon: Outwardly lobbying Big 12... 141
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 112
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 35
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 32
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 25
- Brady Poppinga: From an early age I... 24
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21