Tom Smart, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — When Delta’s Morgan Bogue was called for a stalling penalty with 10 seconds left in his match with North Sevier’s Brett Miller, he quickly did what he’s been trained to do: He forgot about it.
Bogue didn’t panic, instead patiently waiting for his opportunity to secure the victory in overtime, which he eventually did to win his 145-pound 3A semifinal match at the Maverik Center on Friday night.
“We were both tired. I just wanted it more. When I saw the opportunity, I took it,” said Bogue.
His victory was a theme throughout the evening.
Delta advanced 10 of 11 wrestlers to the semifinals on Friday to open up a commanding 238-157 lead over second-place North Sevier heading into Saturday’s finals. Defending 2A state champ Millard sits in third with 155 points.
The only match Delta lost was in overtime at 170 pounds as Beaver’s Travis Gilman beat Riley Nielson.
“We had a good round. We should’ve went 11-11. We lost one there in overtime. Otherwise, it would’ve been a clean sweep,” said Delta coach Jason Thomas.
Delta had won five straight 3A state championships heading into this season, and it appears poised to make it six straight as it dominated the 2A semifinal round.
“As a whole, we really came to wrestle. It started with our 106-pounder,” said Thomas. “Once we started rolling at 106 we had the momentum and I thought we could win them all.”
The least-likely victory came at 220 pounds. Freshman Brett Walker had been pinned by North Sevier’s Jesse Durrant twice this season, but he reversed that result with a 4-3 decision.
“For him to find a way to win was great,” said Thomas.
Delta’s other semifinal winners were Trevor Poulsen (106), Josh Allen (112), Bracken Lovell (126), Trace Willoughby (132), Victor Almanza (138), McQuae Anderson (152), Kale Leavitt (182) and David Schena (195).
Four defending state champs positioned themselves for a run at a second straight title.
Manti’s Dylan Brown advanced to the 182-pound final, as did North Sevier’s Brendon Sorenson at 160 pounds.
One of the most exciting matches heading into Saturday’s finals will be at 120 pounds between Beaver’s Kyle Evans and South Summit’s Matt Lee. Evans took state at 106 pounds last season, while Lee won at 113 pounds.
At Maverik Center
Team scores after Day 1
1. Delta, 238; 2. North Sevier, 157; 3. Millard, 155; 4. Beaver, 111; 5. South Summit, 108; 6. North Summit, 94; 7. Emery, 86; 8. Manti, 75; 9. South Sevier, 61; 10. Enterprise, 51.
Friday’s semifinal results
106 — Jaxon Cole, North Summit def. Tate Black, Beaver, fall 3:06; Trevor Poulsen, Delta def. Calab Rasmussen, Millard, 8-0.
113 — Paden Woolstenhulme, South Summit def. Braxton Maxwell, North Sevier, 2-0; Josh Allen, Delta def. Aldair Moran, Delta, fall 5:29.
120 — Kyle Evans, Beaver def. Payton Stott, Millard, 12-1; Matt Lee, South Summit def. Casen Burgess, North Sevier, fall 2:58.
126 — Weston Larsen, Manti def. Dakota Carlson, Millard, 12-1; Bracken Lovell, Delta def. David Bird, Emery, fall 2:55.
132 — McCrae Thatcher, Millard def. Colt Evans, Beaver, 4-2; Trace Willoughby, Delta def. Caleb Jones, South Sevier, 5-1.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak... 20