4 courageous deputies saved lives, were justified in shooting, county attorney says
Chaotic rampage near Nephi wasn't 'going to end any other way'
"I've just been shot at," one 911 caller told the dispatcher. "The guy tried to jump in my car and I accelerated away from him and he took a shot at me."
"They won't stop," a deputy tells another on the police radio, informing him that the suspects were just involved in two shootings in Utah County.
Later, a deputy can be heard on the police radio, while still remaining calm: "We're 10-82. Suspect has been shot."
Three of the deputies involved in the shootout were veterans of the Juab County Sheriff's Office and one is relatively new to the department, Orme said. But when he told them they were cleared to return to work, he also told them they are all heroes.
"Every officer that was involved with this, every highway patrolman, every Nephi City officer, every Juab County officer, to me acted beyond and above the call of duty," he said. "It was extraordinary the efforts that everybody portrayed on this day. It's with gratitude that we accept this letter of clearance."
Eldridge would only identify the officers by their badge numbers.
"Those officers don't take lightly the fact that on (Jan. 30) they had to take a human life. They take that seriously. They don't take any great pleasure in the fact they had to do that," he said.
When talking about his men, the sheriff became choked up in expressing the gratitude he had for each of them.
"I'm very proud of them," he said.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Fallen hiker had passion for the outdoors,...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- West Jordan, Murray residents search for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 56
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- Utah argues for more time to file... 33
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 27
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22