4 courageous deputies saved lives, were justified in shooting, county attorney says
Chaotic rampage near Nephi wasn't 'going to end any other way'
"I've just been shot at," one 911 caller told the dispatcher. "The guy tried to jump in my car and I accelerated away from him and he took a shot at me."
"They won't stop," a deputy tells another on the police radio, informing him that the suspects were just involved in two shootings in Utah County.
Later, a deputy can be heard on the police radio, while still remaining calm: "We're 10-82. Suspect has been shot."
Three of the deputies involved in the shootout were veterans of the Juab County Sheriff's Office and one is relatively new to the department, Orme said. But when he told them they were cleared to return to work, he also told them they are all heroes.
"Every officer that was involved with this, every highway patrolman, every Nephi City officer, every Juab County officer, to me acted beyond and above the call of duty," he said. "It was extraordinary the efforts that everybody portrayed on this day. It's with gratitude that we accept this letter of clearance."
Eldridge would only identify the officers by their badge numbers.
"Those officers don't take lightly the fact that on (Jan. 30) they had to take a human life. They take that seriously. They don't take any great pleasure in the fact they had to do that," he said.
When talking about his men, the sheriff became choked up in expressing the gratitude he had for each of them.
"I'm very proud of them," he said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Six arrested in wild Utah County kidnapping;...
- Friends, family, strangers gather at vigil...
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 78
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 65
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 51
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11