4 courageous deputies saved lives, were justified in shooting, county attorney says
Chaotic rampage near Nephi wasn't 'going to end any other way'
"I've just been shot at," one 911 caller told the dispatcher. "The guy tried to jump in my car and I accelerated away from him and he took a shot at me."
"They won't stop," a deputy tells another on the police radio, informing him that the suspects were just involved in two shootings in Utah County.
Later, a deputy can be heard on the police radio, while still remaining calm: "We're 10-82. Suspect has been shot."
Three of the deputies involved in the shootout were veterans of the Juab County Sheriff's Office and one is relatively new to the department, Orme said. But when he told them they were cleared to return to work, he also told them they are all heroes.
"Every officer that was involved with this, every highway patrolman, every Nephi City officer, every Juab County officer, to me acted beyond and above the call of duty," he said. "It was extraordinary the efforts that everybody portrayed on this day. It's with gratitude that we accept this letter of clearance."
Eldridge would only identify the officers by their badge numbers.
"Those officers don't take lightly the fact that on (Jan. 30) they had to take a human life. They take that seriously. They don't take any great pleasure in the fact they had to do that," he said.
When talking about his men, the sheriff became choked up in expressing the gratitude he had for each of them.
"I'm very proud of them," he said.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- Sandy officer shoots, critically injures man...
- The truth about addiction
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's running...
- Heavy rain damages roads, floods basements in...
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 67
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Federal judge halts Herbert directive... 39
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 22
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19