Elaine Thompson, Associated Press
Religion has new competition in town — sports.
An article by Chris Beneke and Arthur Remillard in America’s Quilt Of Faith examined how religion and sports are swapping places in the minds of Americans. As church numbers decline, sports numbers seem to be on the rise. And many Americans, the article said, are worshipping and showing faith in their sports team and not God.
“But when it comes to the passionate attachments that sustain interest and devotion, it’s time to acknowledge that sports have gained the edge,” Beneke and Remillard wrote. “And they show no sign of relinquishing the lead.”
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- New report says 2013 was 'the largest...
- New features at Ogden Temple reception tent...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 18
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 17
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 14
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 8
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11... 5