Elaine Thompson, Associated Press
Religion has new competition in town — sports.
An article by Chris Beneke and Arthur Remillard in America’s Quilt Of Faith examined how religion and sports are swapping places in the minds of Americans. As church numbers decline, sports numbers seem to be on the rise. And many Americans, the article said, are worshipping and showing faith in their sports team and not God.
“But when it comes to the passionate attachments that sustain interest and devotion, it’s time to acknowledge that sports have gained the edge,” Beneke and Remillard wrote. “And they show no sign of relinquishing the lead.”
- Defending the Faith: The Book of Mormon...
- LDS sister missionary from Kaysville killed...
- Sister Linda K. Burton writes about emotional...
- Praying together to stay together? The role...
- Understanding DNA testing in family history
- How Darwin Day has evolved in the U.S.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces virtual...
- David Archuleta says ‘most fulfilling...
- Defending the Faith: The Book of Mormon... 68
- Darwin Day notwithstanding, evolution... 21
- LDS sister missionary from Kaysville... 14
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces 7... 8
- Bernie Sanders supported religious... 8
- How Darwin Day has evolved in the U.S. 8
- Evangelical leaders denounce Selective... 6
- ... 4