Elaine Thompson, Associated Press
Religion has new competition in town — sports.
An article by Chris Beneke and Arthur Remillard in America’s Quilt Of Faith examined how religion and sports are swapping places in the minds of Americans. As church numbers decline, sports numbers seem to be on the rise. And many Americans, the article said, are worshipping and showing faith in their sports team and not God.
“But when it comes to the passionate attachments that sustain interest and devotion, it’s time to acknowledge that sports have gained the edge,” Beneke and Remillard wrote. “And they show no sign of relinquishing the lead.”
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- 10 religious leaders you may not know about
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 42
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 14
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- New Harmony: Ogling the penmanship of... 5
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in... 4