Elaine Thompson, Associated Press
Religion has new competition in town — sports.
An article by Chris Beneke and Arthur Remillard in America’s Quilt Of Faith examined how religion and sports are swapping places in the minds of Americans. As church numbers decline, sports numbers seem to be on the rise. And many Americans, the article said, are worshipping and showing faith in their sports team and not God.
“But when it comes to the passionate attachments that sustain interest and devotion, it’s time to acknowledge that sports have gained the edge,” Beneke and Remillard wrote. “And they show no sign of relinquishing the lead.”
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- President and Sister Uchtdorf visit site of...
- Mormon Mentions: Bryce Harper posts about his...
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment' during...
- In Germany, secular...
- Muslims celebrate lifting of Lagos hijab ban
- Does Hollywood demean — or misrepresent...
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees;... 29
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 16
- What motivates (the few) evangelicals... 12
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 11
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment'... 10
- How would you describe God in just one... 10
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump 9
- Does Hollywood demean — or... 9