Elaine Thompson, Associated Press
Religion has new competition in town — sports.
An article by Chris Beneke and Arthur Remillard in America’s Quilt Of Faith examined how religion and sports are swapping places in the minds of Americans. As church numbers decline, sports numbers seem to be on the rise. And many Americans, the article said, are worshipping and showing faith in their sports team and not God.
“But when it comes to the passionate attachments that sustain interest and devotion, it’s time to acknowledge that sports have gained the edge,” Beneke and Remillard wrote. “And they show no sign of relinquishing the lead.”
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- New friends plan to work together to defend...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high hopes...
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 105
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 37
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 35
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 34
- New friends plan to work together to... 22
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 17
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 16
- 5 reasons why we want to believe Jesus... 14