Elaine Thompson, Associated Press
Religion has new competition in town — sports.
An article by Chris Beneke and Arthur Remillard in America’s Quilt Of Faith examined how religion and sports are swapping places in the minds of Americans. As church numbers decline, sports numbers seem to be on the rise. And many Americans, the article said, are worshipping and showing faith in their sports team and not God.
“But when it comes to the passionate attachments that sustain interest and devotion, it’s time to acknowledge that sports have gained the edge,” Beneke and Remillard wrote. “And they show no sign of relinquishing the lead.”
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the Nephites
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- New DVD tells story of David Archuleta's...
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of prophets
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 46
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 19
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 8
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- New DVD tells story of David... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- 10 religious leaders you may not know... 5