SALT LAKE CITY — A lawmaker seeking to get breathalyzers in bars spent Friday clarifying his proposal in response to what he called "mischaracterizations" of the bill.
The bill, which has yet to be completed, would ensure privacy for patrons and not increase liability for proprietors, said House Majority Whip Greg Hughes, R-Draper.
A breathalyzer machine would help drinkers make informed decisions about driving by allowing patrons to test their blood-alcohol level for $2 at the bar, Hughes said. The proposal would not require bar patrons to use the machines.
"It's not illegal to drink in Utah. It's not illegal to drink and operate a vehicle. It is illegal to drink to the point where your blood-alcohol level is 0.08 or higher and drive," he said earlier this week.
Hughes said it would be similar to having a speedometer to help people follow the speed limit. Easy access to a breathalyzer machine would help people, especially less experienced alcohol consumers, know what it means to be impaired.
"It’s not meant to be punitive to the patron to have it there. It’s not meant to be punitive to those that would put it in their establishments," Hughes said.
Emphasizing that it's still "a work in progress," Hughes said a future bill wouldn't address mitigating circumstances or provisions for mandatory machines in cases where citations have been issued.
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases on...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 103
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 75
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 67
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 44
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 42
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24