Dick Harmon: Pikus-Pace's last race garners admirers from Sochi to Utah
In days leading up to Friday, Pikus Pace posted a photo on her Facebook page. It featured her and a necklace she was holding out, an emblem of her LDS faith, a Young Women token. She said, “On my way to race and want to give a shout out to the youth! Remember who you are and what you stand for! Love you!”
Just moments before the final Friday, Noelle posted the following: “About to take my final run of my career and am trying to contain my emotions. Janson and I have thoroughly enjoyed this journey. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you all for helping me and my family getting here. Deep breath. One more let’s have some fun.”
In the moments before that final race, Rob Pikus tried to explain how his sister the Olympian was the real deal, has always been genuine and a force for good — regardless of the medal or finish.
“When we were out in Germany,” remembered Rob, “It was a Sunday and she told everyone she was going to church. Said she, “I gotta go do this. The reason I’m here is because of my faith and everything I believe in. I owe it to the Lord for where I’m at and that I’m even here. It’s all good.”
On this day the gold did not come. But for a woman whose past two Olympics had been seriously impacted by injury and bad fortune, it was a day her fans had waited for for a very long time.
For this mother of two, it really is all good.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 78
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 64
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Annual instate college basketball... 37
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 32