Jordan Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — John Nixon will join the University of Utah in a newly created role of chief business officer effective March 1.
Nixon is the former director of the Governor’s Office of Planning and Budget for the state of Utah and is current director of the Department of Technology, Management and Budget and state budget director for the state of Michigan.
Nixon will focus on optimizing the use of resources and increasing administrative efficiencies.
Nixon was named Public Official of the Year in 2012 by Governing magazine, which cited his role in Michigan’s economic turnaround. In 2008 he was named Chief Financial Officer of the Year for the public sector by Utah Business Magazine.
“I’ve been blessed to work with some innovative and dynamic leaders in my career, and I am excited to bring my expertise to help move the university forward,” said Nixon. “The same fiscal principles and administrative efficiencies that have fueled Michigan’s comeback can now be put into practice at the university to lead us to the next stage of our bright future.”
Nixon graduated from BYU in corporate finance and has a Master of Business Administration from the U.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Seeking social media 'likes' could cause...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 65
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18