When it comes to making rice, I am notorious for going overboard.
When that water starts to boil, I always have the correct amount of rice ready to go, but for some reason, I always end up worrying that it won’t be enough so I add more. This results in an abundance of leftover rice that I pack into a container and place in the fridge. And there it would sit.
That is, until I discovered how easy and delicious it is to make Chinese Fried Rice.
I love Chinese food, but it is often so time consuming. My fried rice however, is super simple and because you already have you cooked and chilled rice, this dish can be ready to serve in just minutes.
You can find sesame oil in the Asian section of any grocery store. This ingredient is so important to that authentic taste and smell of Chinese food. But a little goes a long way.
If you want to use leftover cooked ham or chicken, simple chop and add about a cup to the recipe.
Belle’s Chinese Fried Rice
1 cup green onions, chopped (divide the white from the green parts)
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
1 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
2 cups cooked rice, chilled
2 eggs, beaten
½ teaspoon sesame oil
1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cups cooked ham or chicken, chopped (optional)
Heat the oil and fry the white parts of the onion and the mushrooms until tender. Add the peas and carrots and rice and cook until heated through and rice just starts to brown. Push the mixture to one side of the pan.
Add a teaspoon of oil to the empty side and then add the eggs and cook until almost set. Stir the eggs into the rice mixture.
Add the sesame oil, soy sauce, green parts of the onion and ham or chicken if desired. Mix well.
Cook another minute of two until everything is hot. Add more soy sauce if needed.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Condoleezza Rice and Jenny Oaks Baker release...
- UTubers: Lexi Walker sings 'America the...
- Brooke Romney: Why we are taking the fun out...
- Beat the heat: 33 free splash pads in Utah
- An 'all-American tradition': Fourth of July...
- Where are all the good Fourth of July movies?
- 4 ways to guarantee your kids will have a...
- We're doing youth soccer wrong: Stop yelling...
- When Satan steals your motherhood 88
- Behind the rapid shift in public... 26
- In our opinion: Declaration of... 21
- Does Shakespeare still have a place in... 10
- Condoleezza Rice and Jenny Oaks Baker... 8
- UTubers: Vocal Point director, mom... 4
- An 'all-American tradition': Fourth of... 3
- We're doing youth soccer wrong: Stop... 3