When it comes to making rice, I am notorious for going overboard.
When that water starts to boil, I always have the correct amount of rice ready to go, but for some reason, I always end up worrying that it won’t be enough so I add more. This results in an abundance of leftover rice that I pack into a container and place in the fridge. And there it would sit.
That is, until I discovered how easy and delicious it is to make Chinese Fried Rice.
I love Chinese food, but it is often so time consuming. My fried rice however, is super simple and because you already have you cooked and chilled rice, this dish can be ready to serve in just minutes.
You can find sesame oil in the Asian section of any grocery store. This ingredient is so important to that authentic taste and smell of Chinese food. But a little goes a long way.
If you want to use leftover cooked ham or chicken, simple chop and add about a cup to the recipe.
Belle’s Chinese Fried Rice
1 cup green onions, chopped (divide the white from the green parts)
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
1 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
2 cups cooked rice, chilled
2 eggs, beaten
½ teaspoon sesame oil
1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cups cooked ham or chicken, chopped (optional)
Heat the oil and fry the white parts of the onion and the mushrooms until tender. Add the peas and carrots and rice and cook until heated through and rice just starts to brown. Push the mixture to one side of the pan.
Add a teaspoon of oil to the empty side and then add the eggs and cook until almost set. Stir the eggs into the rice mixture.
Add the sesame oil, soy sauce, green parts of the onion and ham or chicken if desired. Mix well.
Cook another minute of two until everything is hot. Add more soy sauce if needed.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Two powerful forces make American families...
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is better...
- 14 potential signs of autism you may be...
- The Clean Cut: 3-year-old drumming prodigy...
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- Two powerful forces make American... 21
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 11
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 9
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects... 6
- Many adults delay parenthood for these... 5
- Bills aim to bring marriage, family law... 4