Carlino attempted just one field goal over the first 10 minutes of the second half. Eric Mika picked up his fourth foul with a little more than eight minutes left.
And that was about the time Pacific went on an 11-2 run, which included a pair of Tiger 3-pointers. A 3-pointer by Gill put Pacific up, 71-60, and the Tigers eventually stretched their lead to 15 — 78-63.
The Cougars rallied behind the scoring of Haws and Carlino, and a Nate Austin dunk made the score 79-75 with two minutes left in the game. But Pacific weathered the storm and held on for the win.
The first half was a game of runs.
Pacific missed its first five shots from the field to open the game, while BYU seized an early 9-0 lead, with Haws and Skyler Halford combining for all nine of those points.
But the Tigers turned things around quickly, enjoying a 17-4 run to go up four points, 17-13, as the Cougars struggled to score.
A bucket by Collinsworth ended a 6 ½ minute field goal drought for BYU.
The Cougars went on a 12-2 run of their own, including Carlino’s first 3-pointer of the half.
With six minutes left in the half, BYU led, 25-19.
From there, the Cougars maintained the lead thanks to Carlino’s 3s, but Pacific kept it close.
BYU led at halftime, 38-35.
Carlino knocked down 4 of 6 3-pointers in the first half and led the Cougars with 14 points.
The bad news for BYU was it hit just 10 of 17 free throws and shot just 41 percent from the field.
Also, four Cougars had two fouls at the break — Haws, Collinsworth, Austin and Mika. Mika’s two personals came during a 30-second stretch.
BYU visits Saint Mary’s Saturday (6 p.m. MST, ESPN2).
NOTES: Carlino eclipsed Keena Young on BYU's all-time scoring list. Young scored 1,068 points in his career. Carlino passed him in the first half. Collinsworth missed a pair of free throws in the first half, giving him six consecutive misses, including four missed free throws at the end of last Saturday’s San Francisco game. Haws’ career double-figure streak reached 40 games.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 80
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 65
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 53
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 29
- Pac-12 South: Bruins the favorite, but... 22