Police cautioning parents after attempted child abduction near Magna
MAGNA — Police are looking for a man who they say attempted to lure a 12-year-old girl into his vehicle Thursday.
The girl was walking home from school near 3500 South and 8900 West when a man in a minivan pulled over nearby and called her over, Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said. Thinking he was someone she knew, the girl approached. The man then got out of the van and grabbed her arm, pulling her toward the vehicle, Hoyal said.
The man let go when the girl screamed, running back to his vehicle, Hoyal said. The girl then ran home, and family members notified police.
The man is described as white, between 30 and 40 years old, about 6 feet 1 inches tall and weighing an estimated 300 pounds, according to police. At the time of the alleged attempted abduction he was wearing a red shirt, blue jeans and a black baseball cap with flames on the side. He also had a goatee.
The man was driving a older model baby blue minivan and only had windows on the front driver and passenger-side doors.
The man isn't currently connected to any other attempted abductions, but police are warning parents to take precautions.
"We would like to get him caught and interview him in case he is looking for somebody else," Hoyal said. "We would just remind the public to be extra vigilant with their children in that area, and if they see this suspect to call police immediately."
Anyone with information about the man is asked to call the Unified Police Department at 385-468-9837.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Utah’s Great Gallery rock art younger...
- Tired teen plowed into new car lot, Vernal...
- Family of drowned Weber County man hopes free...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 52
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 47
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 29
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 24
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake... 19