Mormons in the Olympics: Niccum, luge relay team take 6th
Charlie Riedel, AP
The team included a women, men and doubles team. The combined time for was 2 minutes, 47.555 seconds — less than a second behind the second-place team.
The German team was first with a time of 2:45.649 and the second place team from Russia had a time of 2:46.679.
Niccum, of Woodinville, Wash., and teammate Jayson Terdiman were 11th in the doubles luge Wednesday.
Noelle Pikus-Pace, of Eagle Mountain, Utah, was second after the first two heats in the women’s skeleton competition.
Each athlete gets four turns down the course and the one with the lowest combined time is the winner.
Pikus-Pace’s first run was in 58.68 seconds and her second one was 58.65 seconds, for combined time of 1:57.33 — .44 seconds behind Great Britain’s Elizabeth Yarnold, who is in first.
Pikus-Pace said during the race broadcast that turns No. 5 and No. 11 were the trickiest for her and she just needs to take them “one curve at a time.”
The final two runs are scheduled for Friday.
She placed fourth in the 2010 Vancouver Games.
Other athletes competing Friday who are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints include Canada’s Eric Neilson in the first two heats of the men’s skeleton race. The second two heats will be Saturday.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: CTRappleye
- Elders Rasband, Stevenson, Renlund sustained...
- Unique LDS temple, high-rise apartment...
- 3 new LDS apostles will be 98th, 99th, 100th...
- 3 new apostles to be called during LDS...
- 185th Semiannual General Conference talk...
- New apostles testify of Jesus Christ during...
- New LDS apostles already have presence on...
- President Dieter F. Uchtdorf: 'It works!'
- Defending the Faith: Did Joseph Smith... 36
- Unique LDS family doctrine still drives... 31
- 3 new LDS apostles will be 98th, 99th,... 25
- Clerk jailed over gay marriage says... 24
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Unique LDS temple, high-rise apartment... 16
- Elders Rasband, Stevenson, Renlund... 16
- Church History Museum reopens after... 13