Mormons in the Olympics: Niccum, luge relay team take 6th
Charlie Riedel, AP
The team included a women, men and doubles team. The combined time for was 2 minutes, 47.555 seconds — less than a second behind the second-place team.
The German team was first with a time of 2:45.649 and the second place team from Russia had a time of 2:46.679.
Niccum, of Woodinville, Wash., and teammate Jayson Terdiman were 11th in the doubles luge Wednesday.
Noelle Pikus-Pace, of Eagle Mountain, Utah, was second after the first two heats in the women’s skeleton competition.
Each athlete gets four turns down the course and the one with the lowest combined time is the winner.
Pikus-Pace’s first run was in 58.68 seconds and her second one was 58.65 seconds, for combined time of 1:57.33 — .44 seconds behind Great Britain’s Elizabeth Yarnold, who is in first.
Pikus-Pace said during the race broadcast that turns No. 5 and No. 11 were the trickiest for her and she just needs to take them “one curve at a time.”
The final two runs are scheduled for Friday.
She placed fourth in the 2010 Vancouver Games.
Other athletes competing Friday who are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints include Canada’s Eric Neilson in the first two heats of the men’s skeleton race. The second two heats will be Saturday.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: CTRappleye
- Pope Francis: The world's at war, but not a...
- Pope visits Auschwitz in silence, meets...
- Elder LeGrand R. Curtis Jr. addresses 'A...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees in Athens,...
- Famed British sextet highlights Pioneer Day...
- Pioneer Day sunrise service: 'A legacy of faith'
- Days of '47 Parade: 'Pioneers: Inspiring...
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 44
- Democrats and Republicans double-down... 34
- 'Duck Dynasty' star: Media,... 26
- Defending the Faith: The 18th annual... 19
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 17
- The Clean Cut: New BYU football video... 15
- 5 prayers to God that were just uttered... 15
- Great quote, Tim Kaine, but John Wesley... 12