Mormons in the Olympics: Niccum, luge relay team take 6th
Charlie Riedel, AP
The team included a women, men and doubles team. The combined time for was 2 minutes, 47.555 seconds — less than a second behind the second-place team.
The German team was first with a time of 2:45.649 and the second place team from Russia had a time of 2:46.679.
Niccum, of Woodinville, Wash., and teammate Jayson Terdiman were 11th in the doubles luge Wednesday.
Noelle Pikus-Pace, of Eagle Mountain, Utah, was second after the first two heats in the women’s skeleton competition.
Each athlete gets four turns down the course and the one with the lowest combined time is the winner.
Pikus-Pace’s first run was in 58.68 seconds and her second one was 58.65 seconds, for combined time of 1:57.33 — .44 seconds behind Great Britain’s Elizabeth Yarnold, who is in first.
Pikus-Pace said during the race broadcast that turns No. 5 and No. 11 were the trickiest for her and she just needs to take them “one curve at a time.”
The final two runs are scheduled for Friday.
She placed fourth in the 2010 Vancouver Games.
Other athletes competing Friday who are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints include Canada’s Eric Neilson in the first two heats of the men’s skeleton race. The second two heats will be Saturday.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: CTRappleye
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- 10 religious leaders you may not know about
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 36
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 13
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- Over half a million people attended... 4
- 5 unusual places of worship 4
- Pope Francis to marry couples with... 3