Mormons in the Olympics: Niccum, luge relay team take 6th
Charlie Riedel, AP
The team included a women, men and doubles team. The combined time for was 2 minutes, 47.555 seconds — less than a second behind the second-place team.
The German team was first with a time of 2:45.649 and the second place team from Russia had a time of 2:46.679.
Niccum, of Woodinville, Wash., and teammate Jayson Terdiman were 11th in the doubles luge Wednesday.
Noelle Pikus-Pace, of Eagle Mountain, Utah, was second after the first two heats in the women’s skeleton competition.
Each athlete gets four turns down the course and the one with the lowest combined time is the winner.
Pikus-Pace’s first run was in 58.68 seconds and her second one was 58.65 seconds, for combined time of 1:57.33 — .44 seconds behind Great Britain’s Elizabeth Yarnold, who is in first.
Pikus-Pace said during the race broadcast that turns No. 5 and No. 11 were the trickiest for her and she just needs to take them “one curve at a time.”
The final two runs are scheduled for Friday.
She placed fourth in the 2010 Vancouver Games.
Other athletes competing Friday who are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints include Canada’s Eric Neilson in the first two heats of the men’s skeleton race. The second two heats will be Saturday.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: CTRappleye
- This is even more evidence that Jesus may...
- Helping people deal with criticisms against...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- 8 interesting facts about the Toronto Ontario...
- Recently vandalized Fort Collins Colorado...
- How serving an LDS mission prepared me for...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between Lehite...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program 256
- Marching band not allowed to perform... 105
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between... 41
- LDS Church releases statement after... 28
- Mormon woman will be first female West... 16
- Is there too much faith in college... 12
- This is even more evidence that Jesus... 8
- Recently vandalized Fort Collins... 8