SOUTH SALT LAKE — Police officers got their man Wednesday — twice.
Police arrested a man suspected in a carjacking Wednesday. The man was near 3100 S. State "yelling and trying to fight with passing motorists," said South Salt Lake police detective Gary Keller.
Eventually, the man — while holding a steel hydraulic jack handle — forced a 17-year-old driver to stop and get out of his car, then he drove off in the stolen vehicle, Keller said. Within 30 minutes, Murray police spotted the vehicle and arrested the driver.
The man told officers his name was Christopher Daggs, and he was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated robbery. Investigators said the man was carrying an ID card with the same name.
Several hours later, however, police arrested another man named Christopher Daggs, 31, on an unrelated incident. He was booked into jail for investigation of drug and motor vehicle theft.
When the jail staff discovered that they had two people behind bars who claimed to be the same person, deputies ran the fingerprints of the first man who was arrested and found out that his real name is Jesse Frank Payne, 34, of South Salt Lake.
Payne was booked again under his real name. In addition to aggravated robbery, police will ask prosecutors to also consider filing a charge of giving false information to police.
— Pat Reavy
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Mayor responds to pending harassment lawsuit...
- Teen dies in suspected overdose in Farmington
- Zion's trees are dying of old age
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 21
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 15
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13