SOUTH SALT LAKE — Police officers got their man Wednesday — twice.
Police arrested a man suspected in a carjacking Wednesday. The man was near 3100 S. State "yelling and trying to fight with passing motorists," said South Salt Lake police detective Gary Keller.
Eventually, the man — while holding a steel hydraulic jack handle — forced a 17-year-old driver to stop and get out of his car, then he drove off in the stolen vehicle, Keller said. Within 30 minutes, Murray police spotted the vehicle and arrested the driver.
The man told officers his name was Christopher Daggs, and he was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated robbery. Investigators said the man was carrying an ID card with the same name.
Several hours later, however, police arrested another man named Christopher Daggs, 31, on an unrelated incident. He was booked into jail for investigation of drug and motor vehicle theft.
When the jail staff discovered that they had two people behind bars who claimed to be the same person, deputies ran the fingerprints of the first man who was arrested and found out that his real name is Jesse Frank Payne, 34, of South Salt Lake.
Payne was booked again under his real name. In addition to aggravated robbery, police will ask prosecutors to also consider filing a charge of giving false information to police.
— Pat Reavy
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 40
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 21
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17