Morry Gash, Associated Press
Australian Torah Bright was the defending champion in the women's snowboard halfpipe after taking the gold medal four years ago in Vancouver. Although she came into the 2014 Sochi Winter Games with hopes of repeating her success, Bright was all smiles when she was awarded the silver medal Wednesday night.
But what stuck out to many who watched the competition unfold was Bright's friendliness to her American competitors throughout the competition, many commenting on the hugs Bright continued to give.
Nice moment between Torah Bright & Kelly Clark. Torah likely to get silver and Australia's first medal in these games. #Sochi2014— John (@jt_melb) February 12, 2014
American Kaitlyn Farrington took gold as her teammate and 2002 gold medalist, Kelly Clark, took bronze. But as the three met on NBC's "Today" show a day after their competition, Clark said she wouldn't have made the podium without Bright's encouragement.
“This girl was a champ for me,” Clark told the "Today" show. “She saw how not in a good place I was, and she gave me a hug, let me go, looked at me and said, ‘You actually need another one.’ And so she just held me until I actually calmed down enough, and I slowed my breathing. It was good to have a hug from a friend."
When asked about why she would show this type of compassion during a competition, Bright spoke of her respect for Clark and for the sport.
“The Olympics is about inspiring others. I am a competitor — I want to do my best — but I want my fellow competitors to do their best, too. What is the Olympic dream without the best bringing their best to the table?" Bright told the "Today" show.
Several viewers commended Bright for her sportsmanship.
Watched the half pipe finals even though I knew the ending.Every1 could learn from Shaun White,Kelly Clark, &Torah Bright #GraciousInLosing— Megan Lee (@megan_lee87) February 13, 2014
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Celebrities and their kids: Family is still...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Are millennials really the generation we...
- How new research on chemicals in household...
- Salt Lake father-son team take first in 3rd...
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,...
- When Satan steals your motherhood 46
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see... 13
- The rough road of single motherhood... 11
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 11
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation... 9
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes' 7
- Doug Robinson: Reuniting families... 5