BYU rugby heads to Moraga, Calif., to take on Saint Mary’s on Saturday, Feb. 15, in a battle of unbeatens.
BYU's Luke Mocke will play a key role as the Cougars take on Saint Mary's this weekend.
“We know this will be a great test for us and we look forward to playing a team of the quality of Saint Mary’s,” head coach David Smyth said. “They have a storied program. We know this game will tell us a lot about our team.”
The Cougars are coming off back-to-back national championships, with the most recent coming in last year’ Varsity Cup Championship. Currently ranked No. 1 by RugbyMag.com, BYU won its first six games of the year at the Red Rock Invitational last weekend, with five of the six victories coming in convincing fashion.
After finishing last year’s season as the runner-up in the DIA National Championship and the USA Rugby College 7s National Championship, the Gaels have started the season 9-0 and are ranked No. 6. Their victories include wins over Arizona and Arizona State, as well as San Francisco Golden Gate and Olympic Club.
The Cougars are led by team captain flanker/lock Kyle Sumsion and center Seki Kofi, both three-time All-Americans.
“It’ll be the first real test that we’ve had this year,” Sumsion said. “They are a great team. Everyone is really looking forward to it especially the competition side. We are eager and know we need to be mentally focused and ready to play these guys.”
The Cougars won the last meeting between the two teams, 53-17, in Provo.
The game will begin at noon MST followed by a game between the second squads at 2 p.m. MST. Follow the game live on Twitter.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: justinjgreen8@gmail.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- BYU holds on for 78-74 win over San Francisco
- BYU basketball analysis: Cougars' big men...
- Austin Collie signs with CFL's BC Lions,...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 74
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Peavler: BYU's recent basketball... 19
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies... 19
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain... 18