Police arrest Herriman man wanted in dealership robbery, 2 chases
SOUTH SALT LAKE — After allegedly leading officers on two police chases, a Herriman man suspected of stealing a car from a dealership at gunpoint has been arrested.
A man went to CJ Prestman Auto, 2865 S. State, on Feb. 7 and asked to test drive a vehicle. But when the salesman returned with a pair of keys, the man was holding a gun to his side and told the dealer to put the keys, his wallet and cellphone inside the vehicle and walk away, said South Salt Lake police detective Gary Keller.
Since then, Salt Lake police have twice spotted the stolen vehicle and attempted to stop it, but the suspect sped away. The most recent sighting was Tuesday afternoon when officers spotted the man in the downtown area and attempted to pull him over. The man sped away onto I-15 and officers called off the pursuit once they lost sight of him.
Investigators, however, followed up on information they had obtained about the suspect and about 9 p.m. watched as he pulled into a parking lot near 4700 South and 2700 West. As soon as he got out of the vehicle and walked away from it, officers moved in, a Salt Lake County Jail report states. The man tried to run, but detectives caught up with him and arrested him.
Paul Morris, 24, was booked into jail for investigation of aggravated robbery and fleeing, and several outstanding warrants that included aggravated assault and witness tampering.
Last July, Morris was convicted of aggravated assault, retaliation against a witness and assault. Morris was beating his wife when a roommate intervened and pulled him off of her. Morris then attacked the roommate. After he left, Morris continuously texted and called saying he was going to kill both his wife and the roommate, according to court documents.
He was sentenced to probation, but then served 20 days in jail for violating his probation. On Feb. 10, an arrest warrant was issued for Morris for violating his probation again, according to court records. In 2011 he was convicted of violating a protective order.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Utah’s Great Gallery rock art younger...
- Tired teen plowed into new car lot, Vernal...
- Family of drowned Weber County man hopes free...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 52
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 47
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 29
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 24
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake... 19