Police arrest Herriman man wanted in dealership robbery, 2 chases
SOUTH SALT LAKE — After allegedly leading officers on two police chases, a Herriman man suspected of stealing a car from a dealership at gunpoint has been arrested.
A man went to CJ Prestman Auto, 2865 S. State, on Feb. 7 and asked to test drive a vehicle. But when the salesman returned with a pair of keys, the man was holding a gun to his side and told the dealer to put the keys, his wallet and cellphone inside the vehicle and walk away, said South Salt Lake police detective Gary Keller.
Since then, Salt Lake police have twice spotted the stolen vehicle and attempted to stop it, but the suspect sped away. The most recent sighting was Tuesday afternoon when officers spotted the man in the downtown area and attempted to pull him over. The man sped away onto I-15 and officers called off the pursuit once they lost sight of him.
Investigators, however, followed up on information they had obtained about the suspect and about 9 p.m. watched as he pulled into a parking lot near 4700 South and 2700 West. As soon as he got out of the vehicle and walked away from it, officers moved in, a Salt Lake County Jail report states. The man tried to run, but detectives caught up with him and arrested him.
Paul Morris, 24, was booked into jail for investigation of aggravated robbery and fleeing, and several outstanding warrants that included aggravated assault and witness tampering.
Last July, Morris was convicted of aggravated assault, retaliation against a witness and assault. Morris was beating his wife when a roommate intervened and pulled him off of her. Morris then attacked the roommate. After he left, Morris continuously texted and called saying he was going to kill both his wife and the roommate, according to court documents.
He was sentenced to probation, but then served 20 days in jail for violating his probation. On Feb. 10, an arrest warrant was issued for Morris for violating his probation again, according to court records. In 2011 he was convicted of violating a protective order.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Pilot sentenced for groping teenage girl on...
- Republican, Democratic political insiders say...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 57
- Republican, Democratic political... 46
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 21
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19