BYU tennis: No. 66 BYU men’s tennis takes on UNLV, No. 53 San Diego State
The No. 66 BYU men’s tennis team hits the road this weekend to face UNLV and No. 53 San Diego State on Friday at noon PST and Saturday at 10 a.m., respectively, at the Fertitta Tennis Complex in Las Vegas.
“The week of practice last week really helped us. We were that close to upsetting Boise State,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “Our schedule does not get any easier as we travel to Las Vegas to play UNLV and San Diego State. Both are very good teams, but we'll be hungry for a win.”
BYU (4-5) is 18-12 against the Rebels (4-0) and 27-24 against the Aztecs (3-2) all-time.
The Cougars are eager to get back to the win column after a narrow loss to No. 45 Boise State, 4-3.
Leading the team is junior captain Francis Sargeant who broke into the top 100 ITA rankings Tuesday at No. 91. In Saturday’s match he beat a nationally ranked opponent for the third time this season when he downed No. 54 Andy Bettles, 6-5 (7-4), 6-3. Earlier in the season, he also beat No. 86 Henry Craig of Denver and No. 124 Nikita Fomin of George Washington.
Next weekend the Cougars take on in-state rival Utah in the Deseret First Duel match Feb. 22 at 5 p.m. MST.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- Perseverance pays off for Taele, a big...
- BYU football notebook: Running back position...
- BYU football: 5 questions with an East...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- BYU football: This Nephi played a role in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 52
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 45
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 32
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Red and blue recruits: Utes reap... 16
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local... 14
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders... 12