BYU tennis: No. 66 BYU men’s tennis takes on UNLV, No. 53 San Diego State
The No. 66 BYU men’s tennis team hits the road this weekend to face UNLV and No. 53 San Diego State on Friday at noon PST and Saturday at 10 a.m., respectively, at the Fertitta Tennis Complex in Las Vegas.
“The week of practice last week really helped us. We were that close to upsetting Boise State,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “Our schedule does not get any easier as we travel to Las Vegas to play UNLV and San Diego State. Both are very good teams, but we'll be hungry for a win.”
BYU (4-5) is 18-12 against the Rebels (4-0) and 27-24 against the Aztecs (3-2) all-time.
The Cougars are eager to get back to the win column after a narrow loss to No. 45 Boise State, 4-3.
Leading the team is junior captain Francis Sargeant who broke into the top 100 ITA rankings Tuesday at No. 91. In Saturday’s match he beat a nationally ranked opponent for the third time this season when he downed No. 54 Andy Bettles, 6-5 (7-4), 6-3. Earlier in the season, he also beat No. 86 Henry Craig of Denver and No. 124 Nikita Fomin of George Washington.
Next weekend the Cougars take on in-state rival Utah in the Deseret First Duel match Feb. 22 at 5 p.m. MST.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- Morning links: Former BYU player Paul Lasike...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- Back from injury, BYU QB Taysom Hill wants...
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 24
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs... 17
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other... 16
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy... 13
- Back from injury, BYU QB Taysom Hill... 9