BYU men’s track splits up this weekend with distance and mid-distance runners headed to Seattle to compete in the UW Invitational, while field athletes and sprinters are going to Air Force for the Air Force Collegiate Open.
“We are looking forward to these meets,” head coach Ed Eyestone said. “This should be a big weekend for our distance runners. Seattle has a great track for distance and we have to maximize our opportunities there. It is just a matter of getting qualifying marks for nationals.”
“Ward has looked very fit in workouts and we hope he gets a top-10 time in the country,” Eyestone said. “Thatcher is rounding into shape after being injured. He should take a big step forward.”
Aaron Fletcher will run in the 3,000 meters for the first time this season and will be joined by Jonathan Harper, Curtis Carr and Jason Witt for a strong group of BYU runners. Tommy Gruenewald leads the Cougars in the mile.
The men’s invitational 5,000 meters will take place Friday at 5:50 p.m. PST. The 3,000 meters open race will be at 8:15 a.m. PST on Saturday, with the invitational race at 4:55 p.m. A full schedule can be found on the Huskies website. Live results will also be made available.
Braydon Bringhurst looks to continue his standout season with another solid performance at the Air Force Invitational in the pole vault. Dakoda John and Sam Rockwood lead the Cougars in the high jump. Craig Merkley and Zachary Stetler have been consistent in the weight throw and shot put, respectively.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: justinjgreen8@gmail.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 36
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 27
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game... 26