BYU men’s track splits up this weekend with distance and mid-distance runners headed to Seattle to compete in the UW Invitational, while field athletes and sprinters are going to Air Force for the Air Force Collegiate Open.
“We are looking forward to these meets,” head coach Ed Eyestone said. “This should be a big weekend for our distance runners. Seattle has a great track for distance and we have to maximize our opportunities there. It is just a matter of getting qualifying marks for nationals.”
“Ward has looked very fit in workouts and we hope he gets a top-10 time in the country,” Eyestone said. “Thatcher is rounding into shape after being injured. He should take a big step forward.”
Aaron Fletcher will run in the 3,000 meters for the first time this season and will be joined by Jonathan Harper, Curtis Carr and Jason Witt for a strong group of BYU runners. Tommy Gruenewald leads the Cougars in the mile.
The men’s invitational 5,000 meters will take place Friday at 5:50 p.m. PST. The 3,000 meters open race will be at 8:15 a.m. PST on Saturday, with the invitational race at 4:55 p.m. A full schedule can be found on the Huskies website. Live results will also be made available.
Braydon Bringhurst looks to continue his standout season with another solid performance at the Air Force Invitational in the pole vault. Dakoda John and Sam Rockwood lead the Cougars in the high jump. Craig Merkley and Zachary Stetler have been consistent in the weight throw and shot put, respectively.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: justinjgreen8@gmail.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 54
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 44
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 12