Mormons in the Olympics: Torah Bright wins silver in halfpipe
Felipe Dana, Associated Press
Australian Torah Bright took silver in the snowboard halfpipe competition Wednesday evening at the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi. She was the gold medalist in the event in the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver.
In the competition, riders do aerial turns. Each competitor takes two rides in the halfpipe and the best score is counted.
Bright scored 91.50 on the second run and 58.25 on the first run. In the qualification round, she took one of the top spots to head straight to the finals.
The 27-year-old from Cooma, Australia, who trains in Salt Lake City, was seventh in the snowboard slopestyle competition earlier this week. Bright, who is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is also planning to compete in the snowboard cross event this weekend.
American's Kaitlyn Farrington and Kelly Clark took gold and bronze, respectively.
Christian Niccum, 36, of Woodinville, Wash., raced with Jayson Terdiman, and the duo finished 11th Wednesday in the doubles luge.
Niccum, a three-time Olympian and father of three, was 23rd in the 2006 Winter Games in Italy, and in 2010, he competed in the doubles luge and placed sixth with Dan Joye.
In doubles luge, each team takes two runs down the track and both times are added together.
Their first run was in 50.354 seconds and the second run was in 50.591 seconds. They finished about 2.012 seconds behind the total time of the winning German team.
Niccum's team is scheduled to be part of the team luge competition on Thursday.
In addition to the team luge event Thursday, the first two runs in the women’s skeleton for Noelle Pikus-Pace are Thursday and the final two are Friday.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: CTRappleye
- LDS couple with triplets expecting twins:...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Partially paralyzed LDS runner completes...
- 'Meet the Mormons' an example of church...
- New Harmony: Church questions? I have a dozen
- Polygamy essays provide information about...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Wright Words: Are you an odd duck?
- Polygamy essays provide information... 69
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 61
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 29
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 21
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Using faith... 19
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- New Harmony: Church questions? I have a... 15
- 'Meet the Mormons' an example of church... 7