Felipe Dana, Associated Press
Australian Torah Bright took silver in the snowboard halfpipe competition Wednesday evening at the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi. She was the gold medalist in the event in the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver.
In the competition, riders do aerial turns. Each competitor takes two rides in the halfpipe and the best score is counted.
Bright scored 91.50 on the second run and 58.25 on the first run. In the qualification round, she took one of the top spots to head straight to the finals.
The 27-year-old from Cooma, Australia, who trains in Salt Lake City, was seventh in the snowboard slopestyle competition earlier this week. Bright, who is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is also planning to compete in the snowboard cross event this weekend.
American's Kaitlyn Farrington and Kelly Clark took gold and bronze, respectively.
Christian Niccum, 36, of Woodinville, Wash., raced with Jayson Terdiman, and the duo finished 11th Wednesday in the doubles luge.
Niccum, a three-time Olympian and father of three, was 23rd in the 2006 Winter Games in Italy, and in 2010, he competed in the doubles luge and placed sixth with Dan Joye.
In doubles luge, each team takes two runs down the track and both times are added together.
Their first run was in 50.354 seconds and the second run was in 50.591 seconds. They finished about 2.012 seconds behind the total time of the winning German team.
Niccum's team is scheduled to be part of the team luge competition on Thursday.
In addition to the team luge event Thursday, the first two runs in the women’s skeleton for Noelle Pikus-Pace are Thursday and the final two are Friday.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: CTRappleye
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS Church...
- LDS leader describes writing Elder Neal A....
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Returned Mormon missionaries in college...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS... 91
- Ask Angela: LDS women have unrealistic... 53
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 38
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to... 35
- When Satan steals your motherhood 27
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Sweden... 23
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 14