Frank Micelotta, Associated Press
The Academy Awards — arguably the largest and most recognized film awards — are just under three weeks away.
But the Christian Oscars were just last week.
The 22nd annual Movieguide Faith & Values Awards, commonly known as the Christian Oscars, commemorated top entertainment choices that relate to faith and positive values. The Hollywood Reporter said “Duck Dynasty,” “Frozen” and “Iron Man 3” all came away as big winners from the award show.
Mark Burnett, producer of “The Bible” — which won “Epiphany Prize for Most Inspiring Television Program of 2013” — said the award show relates to families and the foundation of the United States.
"America was built on two things: the Bible and free enterprise," said Burnett, whose “Shark Tank" show also won the “Friess Free Enterprise Prize” at the event.
“Frozen” took home first place for “Best Movies for Families,” while “Iron Man 3” grabbed the top spot for “Best Movies for Mature Audiences.” And the reality TV series “Duck Dynasty” nabbed a top spot, taking home the “Faith & Freedom Award.”
And “Alone Yet Not Alone” — the Christian film that had its nomination for Best Original Song rescinded in a controversial decision — made some noise at the Faith & Values Awards as the song’s singer, Joni Eareckson Tada, performed the hit song at the show.
The song received a standing ovation, according to Christian Today. “She completed the song to rapturous applause, declaring ‘God's power always shows up best in weakness,’ Christian Today reported.
“Alone Yet Not Alone” isn’t going away quietly, despite having its Oscar nomination withdrawn. The song from the film was ranked No. 19 on Billboard Christian Music, according to Variety.
“I think that what happened with the Academy was unfortunate, but I’ve been reading people’s comments [after hearing the song]. And they are saying that this will endure through time,” said Debbus Speigel, the song’s lyrcist. “It’s nice to take away a gold statuette, but a legacy is something that you can really take with you.”
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- LDS Church announces new seminary graduation...
- LDS Church announces feature-length...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Defending the Faith: The very surprising...
- Watch: LDS bishop featured in 'Meet the...
- Mormons on social media react to Elder...
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple cart
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 108
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but... 39
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use... 39
- LDS Church announces feature-length... 38
- Defending the Faith: The very... 23
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they... 17
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple... 12