Mom enlists Facebook users to give 'friendless' son a happy birthday, 1 million join
A Michigan family is getting attention from all over the world for the birthday of one boy.
Middle-schooler Colin told his mom that there was no point in throwing a party for his 11th birthday because he didn't have any friends. Jennifer, his mom, reacted to this statement with a plan to show him just how wrong he was.
Colin was diagnosed about a year ago with sensory processing disorder, which makes him sensitive to things such as lights and sounds and can cause meltdowns. This can make friendships difficult with other children who don't understand.
“If you can see someone with challenges, like someone with crutches or wheelchair, you know you need to open the door for them. But if someone is acting differently, you may not know they have challenges that you may not understand,” Jennifer said in a Wood TV article.
Jennifer thought the "Happy Birthday Colin" Facebook page would get some attention, but nothing like what has happened. Page "likes" grew from 10,000 Feb. 9 to more than 1.1 million by Feb. 12.
Jennifer even set up a post office box for Colin's online friends to send him birthday cards.
Despite the growing hype, Jennifer hopes to keep the page a secret until Colin's birthday on March 9.
Until then, comments and love keep coming in for the birthday boy.
"Hats off to you, Mom! What a great idea and superb way to let Colin know that so many people care enough to send him well wishes! I hope other parents use this as a teaching moment for their children be kind to others," Ronda Robinson Lewis wrote.
- Provo's Waffle Love made time for church...
- The cost of child care trumps rent —...
- 'Just Let Go' takes an unflinching look at...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Does your child struggle to focus? Here's why...
- The Clean Cut: Peewee football players dance...
- New York Times best-selling author talks...
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: To the mom who... 7
- Here’s a look at Disney’s... 5
- The cost of child care trumps rent... 5
- Chris Hicks: Modern comedies... 4
- 5 amazing true stories of fate bringing... 3
- My view: Teenagers need environments... 3
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: Your presence is... 2
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending 2