Mom enlists Facebook users to give 'friendless' son a happy birthday, 1 million join
A Michigan family is getting attention from all over the world for the birthday of one boy.
Middle-schooler Colin told his mom that there was no point in throwing a party for his 11th birthday because he didn't have any friends. Jennifer, his mom, reacted to this statement with a plan to show him just how wrong he was.
Colin was diagnosed about a year ago with sensory processing disorder, which makes him sensitive to things such as lights and sounds and can cause meltdowns. This can make friendships difficult with other children who don't understand.
“If you can see someone with challenges, like someone with crutches or wheelchair, you know you need to open the door for them. But if someone is acting differently, you may not know they have challenges that you may not understand,” Jennifer said in a Wood TV article.
Jennifer thought the "Happy Birthday Colin" Facebook page would get some attention, but nothing like what has happened. Page "likes" grew from 10,000 Feb. 9 to more than 1.1 million by Feb. 12.
Jennifer even set up a post office box for Colin's online friends to send him birthday cards.
Despite the growing hype, Jennifer hopes to keep the page a secret until Colin's birthday on March 9.
Until then, comments and love keep coming in for the birthday boy.
"Hats off to you, Mom! What a great idea and superb way to let Colin know that so many people care enough to send him well wishes! I hope other parents use this as a teaching moment for their children be kind to others," Ronda Robinson Lewis wrote.
- Health care system can make dying difficult...
- An 'unlikely father of five': Comedian Jim...
- Interracial marriages on the rise, but social...
- 20 things I will not regret doing with my kids
- Clean Cut: '20 things we should say more often'
- Disney's 'Frozen' bridges generation gap for...
- The Piano Guys release new video featuring...
- 7 young musicians to perform with Utah...
- TV is reshaping what it means to be a... 10
- Interracial marriages on the rise, but... 6
- Health care system can make dying... 5
- Walkable communities can help old and... 2
- The challenge of using media to tell... 2
- 'Frozen' Disney World ride plans upset... 2
- How to talk to kids about terrorism 1
- An unusually high number of PG-rated... 1