Mom enlists Facebook users to give 'friendless' son a happy birthday, 1 million join
A Michigan family is getting attention from all over the world for the birthday of one boy.
Middle-schooler Colin told his mom that there was no point in throwing a party for his 11th birthday because he didn't have any friends. Jennifer, his mom, reacted to this statement with a plan to show him just how wrong he was.
Colin was diagnosed about a year ago with sensory processing disorder, which makes him sensitive to things such as lights and sounds and can cause meltdowns. This can make friendships difficult with other children who don't understand.
“If you can see someone with challenges, like someone with crutches or wheelchair, you know you need to open the door for them. But if someone is acting differently, you may not know they have challenges that you may not understand,” Jennifer said in a Wood TV article.
Jennifer thought the "Happy Birthday Colin" Facebook page would get some attention, but nothing like what has happened. Page "likes" grew from 10,000 Feb. 9 to more than 1.1 million by Feb. 12.
Jennifer even set up a post office box for Colin's online friends to send him birthday cards.
Despite the growing hype, Jennifer hopes to keep the page a secret until Colin's birthday on March 9.
Until then, comments and love keep coming in for the birthday boy.
"Hats off to you, Mom! What a great idea and superb way to let Colin know that so many people care enough to send him well wishes! I hope other parents use this as a teaching moment for their children be kind to others," Ronda Robinson Lewis wrote.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Dear daughter, I hope you never conform to...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Kids today are less likely to become pregnant...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 47
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Understanding and responding to the... 9
- Are Advanced Placement courses worth it? 9
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but... 9
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 8
- Kids today are less likely to become... 4