When did faith start to fade away from America? That’s what Adam Gopnik from The New Yorker recently looked into, wondering when and why America has becoming almost 30 percent atheist. He said, in part, that there was an economic tie to the loss of faith.
“Relatively peaceful and prosperous societies, we can establish, tend to have a declining belief in a deity,” Gopnik wrote. “But did we first give up on God and so become calm and rich? Or did we become calm and rich, and so give up on God? Of such questions, such causes, no one can be certain. It would take an all-seeing eye in the sky to be sure.”
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- LDS missionaries share messages about...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Well-prepared LDS Scouts rescue couple off...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Comic: Overcome with the spirit
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 61
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Brigham Young, Utah War topic of... 3