I am offended that President Obama compares Obamacare with the GI Bill, Social Security and Medicare. The GI Bill was a reward after WWII for young people who left their homes for years on low pay and were in harm’s way many times. They earned that reward.
To compare Obamacare with Social Security borders on ridiculous. I paid into that fund for nearly 60 years and the contribution doubled every decade.
Medicare is a fine insurance for the elderly but it ain't free. The government takes thousands each year out of my earned Social Security.
It’s easy to throw comparisons around if no one checks the facts. The GI Bill paid the government back more than 1000-fold in taxes and service. Social Security was to be a retirement fund until it was cobbled up with all the other coverages that made it unsustainable.
Salt Lake City
- About Utah: Moab's ultimate recycler
- Drew Clark: Can the state really force...
- John Hoffmire: China's leader, Xi Jinping, is...
- Letter: Increase education spending
- Robert J. Samuelson: Great Recession left...
- My view: Provo-Orem Bus Rapid Transit system...
- Letter: College-induced poverty
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: What...
- Drew Clark: Can the state really force... 79
- Letter: Increase education spending 44
- Letter: Leaving the past? 28
- Letter: College-induced poverty 26
- Dan Liljenquist: Credit Utah's Sen. Lee... 22
- Robert J. Samuelson: Great Recession... 22
- In Our Opinion: IRS data breach is... 19
- Letter: Keep money in Draper 19