I am offended that President Obama compares Obamacare with the GI Bill, Social Security and Medicare. The GI Bill was a reward after WWII for young people who left their homes for years on low pay and were in harm’s way many times. They earned that reward.
To compare Obamacare with Social Security borders on ridiculous. I paid into that fund for nearly 60 years and the contribution doubled every decade.
Medicare is a fine insurance for the elderly but it ain't free. The government takes thousands each year out of my earned Social Security.
It’s easy to throw comparisons around if no one checks the facts. The GI Bill paid the government back more than 1000-fold in taxes and service. Social Security was to be a retirement fund until it was cobbled up with all the other coverages that made it unsustainable.
Salt Lake City
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps us strong
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- In our opinion: Internet sales tax should...
- Jonathan Johnson: The truth about sales tax...
- My view: Mayor Biskupski deserves to build...
- Letter: Animals in public places
- In our opinion: National security and... 74
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 54
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 30
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 28
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment... 19
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: Coal and job creation 18