I am offended that President Obama compares Obamacare with the GI Bill, Social Security and Medicare. The GI Bill was a reward after WWII for young people who left their homes for years on low pay and were in harm’s way many times. They earned that reward.
To compare Obamacare with Social Security borders on ridiculous. I paid into that fund for nearly 60 years and the contribution doubled every decade.
Medicare is a fine insurance for the elderly but it ain't free. The government takes thousands each year out of my earned Social Security.
It’s easy to throw comparisons around if no one checks the facts. The GI Bill paid the government back more than 1000-fold in taxes and service. Social Security was to be a retirement fund until it was cobbled up with all the other coverages that made it unsustainable.
Salt Lake City
- Letter: Disregarding liberty, laws 52
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Letter: Trump’s chances 35
- Richard Davis: Time to fix Obamacare... 29
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the... 27
- Letter: Patriotism has not died 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- My view: Poor federal stewardship... 20