I am offended that President Obama compares Obamacare with the GI Bill, Social Security and Medicare. The GI Bill was a reward after WWII for young people who left their homes for years on low pay and were in harm’s way many times. They earned that reward.
To compare Obamacare with Social Security borders on ridiculous. I paid into that fund for nearly 60 years and the contribution doubled every decade.
Medicare is a fine insurance for the elderly but it ain't free. The government takes thousands each year out of my earned Social Security.
It’s easy to throw comparisons around if no one checks the facts. The GI Bill paid the government back more than 1000-fold in taxes and service. Social Security was to be a retirement fund until it was cobbled up with all the other coverages that made it unsustainable.
Salt Lake City
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice denied
- My view: More whites should practice meekness...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 35
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 30
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 27
- My view: More whites should practice... 22
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 21
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 16
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice... 13