What's new: 'History of the Saints' is inspiring, educational
“History of the Saints: The Kingdom Endures” addresses several themes during the period of time from 1856 to 1877.
A significant portion of this season is devoted to portraying how Mormon handcarts fit into the overall emigration in the history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and how the exceptional trials of certain pioneer handcart companies have come, in Rawson’s words, to “represent the whole handcart migration, and that is not quite accurate. We present the story of the handcart migration — the whole story.”
Ten of the season’s 30 episodes are devoted to this topic. The series is on eight DVDs, totaling approximately 14 hours.
A sample of other topics covered this season include: the Mormon Reformation; the Utah War; the importance of recording our history, including the role played by the preservation of historical sites; the touching story of Martin Harris’ return to the church; the beginnings of a musical legacy; the Civil War; questions and answers about polygamy; and ultimately the “last days of President Brigham Young,” including the dedication of the St. George Utah Temple.
A pamphlet is included inside the DVD box and summarizes each of the episodes. In addition to supplementing each episode, the pamphlet is very helpful in guiding users to specific episodes to watch again — or for selecting certain episodes to watch for a family home evening.
Season 3 of “History of the Saints” is an inspiring and educational presentation of LDS Church history from 1856-1877.
Kurt Manwaring has a love for LDS Church history. He holds a master's of public administration from the University of Utah and maintains a personal blog at www.kurtsperspective.blogspot.com.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- President Henry B. Eyring: 'The Comforter'
- Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson: 'Defenders of the...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- From log cabin to university, BYU-Idaho...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 165
- Why I don’t call myself a... 92
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 63
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 16
- Meet the Muslim actor playing Jesus in... 10
- General Women's Session focuses on... 10
- State bills to protect religious... 9