Men, you will call home to ask a quick question and anticipate a two-minute conversation. Half of it will be spent listening to your wife talk to your kids. As a matter of fact, you will make it no more than a few sentences in to any conversation ever before your wife spurts out direction to your children.“Don’t climb that!” or “Don’t sit on your sister!” You will become accustomed to these outbursts, but you will forget that there was ever a time when you had her full attention.
But Ladies, when Mommy becomes your name, remember this man. Remember that you are his wife. Remember how much you love and appreciate him in this moment. Remember his dedication to your family. Remember his love and devotion to you. And then, when the days are long and you need a break, fall into his arms.
Men, remember your bride. The care and love that she has given you will soon be spilled over to your children. Her love for you will not change. Give her the grace to be enough even when she doesn’t feel like it. Remember when your days are long, hers are too. Remember her. Fall in love with her again.
Remember each other. Remember the two that made the family. Let the Lord lead you both together. Because when the days are endless and the hours short, it will only be his love who keeps you together. It will only be his mercy that gently guides your hearts as one. Hold tightly to one another, and even more tightly to the Lord. There is no greater adventure for you to experience and no greater gift than to walk through parenthood with your best friend. You are a team. Every single day.
When they had heard these words, perhaps then, I would offer a certificate. Something that they could hold in their hands to remember that they were prepared.
So, to my friends, a reminder. Something for you to hold onto. A cue to look into the aged eyes of the one you love and see the one for whom your heart fell. May our words be sweet. May our hearts be received. And may we remember the love of our youth.
Becky Thompson is a Christian blogger and author of her site, Scissortail Silk. Thompson and her family reside in Oklahoma where she is a full-time mom to her two children, and one on the way. This post has been shared here with her permission.
- Millennials plan to trade kids for careers...
- 'The Avengers' was almost rated R
- Missing heroines: Why Hollywood believes only...
- Viral video: Mom gives 3-year-old a chance to...
- Teen with traumatic brain injury making...
- Value Speak: The real St. Patrick's Day
- Why breastfed babies are so smart
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why we...
- 'The Avengers' was almost rated R 9
- Target apologizes, takes down images of... 7
- Why breastfed babies are so smart 7
- Is 'The Lego Movie' anti-capitalist? 6
- In the Whirled: Has Pinterest sapped... 5
- Steve Eaton: Rare purchase on eBay... 4
- Millennials plan to trade kids for... 3
- Missing heroines: Why Hollywood... 3