Utah State basketball: Aggies head back out on the road, face Colorado State
Matt Gade, Deseret News
FORT COLLINS, Colo. — Utah State looks to complete a season sweep over Colorado State on Tuesday when the Aggies travel to Fort Collins, Colo., to face USU coach Stew Morrill's former team.
"I’ve tried to avoid that all the years since I’ve been gone," Morrill said of playing against CSU. "It’s not something you really want to do, but it’s going to be an annual deal at this point for sure."
USU has struggled in its first season in the Mountain West, losing five straight conference matchups before back-to-back wins in Logan last week.
The Aggies are led in part by senior guard Preston Medlin, who scored 12 points in USU's 57-50 win over the Rams earlier this season.
“It’s always tough to win a game on the road in college basketball, especially against the league with the teams that we have," Medlin said after Saturday's win over Boise State. "Colorado State is a good team. We’ve got to focus in and know our game plan.”
CSU is 14-10 this season, 5-6 in conference play. The Rams are led by forward J.J. Avila, who averages 17 points and nearly eight rebounds per game.
"It was a very good defensive game," Morrill said of the January matchup. "We didn’t score for the first six or seven minutes but still found a way to win the basketball game."
Utah State shot 11 of 21 from 3-point range in the win.
USU is 53-35 all time against Colorado State, but before this season the schools had only played once in the past 15 years — a USU nine-point loss to Morrill's final Rams team in 1998 before he was hired at Utah State.
Tipoff is scheduled for 7:15 p.m.
Tavin Stucki is a senior journalism student at Utah State University and editor-in-chief of The Utah Statesman, the Aggie campus newspaper. Twitter: @stuckiaggies
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A decade...
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why OU...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- High school sports: Nearly 650 athletes...
- Jazz in talks with German center Tibor...
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul Millsap...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 50
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 50
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 37
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 20
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 13