Officer arrested in DUI case after police truck with 4 children rolls
LA VERKIN, Washington County — A sheriff's lieutenant was arrested for investigation of DUI Sunday after allegedly rolling his patrol vehicle with his four children inside.
Washington County Sheriff's Lt. Jake Adams, 39, was booked into the Iron County Jail under the name Jason Lynn Adams for investigation of DUI, making an unsafe lane change and carrying a weapon while intoxicated.
Adams rolled his sheriff's patrol vehicle, an unmarked F-150 pickup truck, with his four children inside. The children, who reportedly range in age from 8 to 14, were not injured. Adams was not on duty at the time of the accident.
"We're just really grateful that neither he nor any of his kids were seriously injured or killed. I mean, it's very lucky," said Washington County Sheriff Cory Pulsipher.
Adams was placed on administrative leave pending an internal investigation.
The accident happened on state Route 17 near La Verkin just before 4:30 p.m. in what Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce called a "slow speed rollover accident."
"Adams drifted off the right shoulder then over-corrected back to the left. The truck left the roadway and went down a dirt embankment in a sideways slide," according to a statement from the UHP. This caused the truck to roll onto its hood. All four of the children were wearing their seat belts, Royce said.
Adams reportedly suffered minor injuries. In his mug shot photo, a red mark can be seen on his forehead. Adams was booked into the Iron County Jail to avoid a conflict of interest in Washington County. He posted bail and was released Monday.
Adams was hired by the sheriff's office in 1998 and has worked for the office his entire career. He is currently the lieutenant in charge of investigations.
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 27
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 23
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 22
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 20
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18