Religious professor explains how Christians can hear God talking to them through the Olympic Games
Bernat Armangue, ASSOCIATED PRESS
It has been more than 20 years since John Piper published his sermon linking Christianity to the Olympics, but since the Opening Ceremonies in Sochi, his piece on desiringGod.org has found new life.
Piper, founder of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary, discussed how Christians can watch the Olympic games for more than entertainment. Relying on the teachings of the Apostle Paul, Piper explained how viewers can "transpose" the games.
"Now I want you to see all that at another level. I want you to transpose the temporary struggles and triumphs of the Olympic Games onto a different level of reality — the level of spiritual life and eternity and God," Piper wrote.
"When you see the athletes run, see another kind of running. When you see them boxing, see another kind of boxing. When you see them training and denying themselves, see another kind of training and self-denial. When you see them smiling with a gold medal around their neck, see another kind of prize."
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- 6 Mormon sisters share uplifting music with...
- LDS missionaries share messages about...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Well-prepared LDS Scouts rescue couple off...
- Video purports to show second beheading of US...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 69
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 18
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Brigham Young, Utah War topic of... 3
- LDS missionaries share messages about... 2
- Cracks in the ‘stained-glass... 2
- ValueSpeak: A tip of the hat to innocence 2