Local notable stat of the week: Gordon Hayward's box score versus Miami.
Hayward shook off some early missed layups and sluggish play to finish with a near trouble-double versus LeBron and the Heat. He had nine points, nine rebounds, 11 assists and three steals with a plus/minus of +11 in his 38 minutes.
Overall Ruckus rating for the local week in sports: On a scale of 1-to-5.
Rating: 3 — about average. The Jazz’s win over the Heat, the first gold medal of the Olympics and a whole bunch of college basketball home victories for in-state teams highlighted the week.
Eye on the prize: What's on the line this week.
The Jazz play back-to-back on Tuesday/Wednesday this week, beginning at the Lakers and then home versus the 76ers. This weekend is the NBA's All-Star weekend.
The BYU men play a Thursday/Saturday set on the road at Pacific and then at Saint Mary’s on Saturday in the week’s most important upcoming game.
The Utes also play a Thursday/Saturday road set at USC and at UCLA. The Trojans and Bruins will both be looking to avenge losses at the Huntsman Center in mid-January.
What to watch: Best games of the upcoming week.
NCAAM: No. 1 Syracuse at No. 25 Pittsburgh, Wednesday, 5 p.m. on ESPN
NCAAM: No. 11 Duke at North Carolina, Wednesday, 7 p.m. on ESPN
NCAAM: No. 3 Florida at No. 18 Kentucky, Saturday, 7 p.m. on ESPN
NCAAM: BYU at Saint Mary’s, Saturday, 6 p.m. on ESPN 2
NCAAM: Utah at UCLA, Saturday, 3 p.m. on PAC 12 Network
NBA: Thunder at Trail Blazers, Tuesday, 8 p.m. on NBA TV
NBA: Jazz at Lakers, Tuesday, 8:30 p.m. on ROOT
NBA: Heat at Warriors, Wednesday, 8:30 p.m. on NBA TV
NBA: All-Star weekend, Friday through Sunday on TNT
Winter Olympics on NBC
Crystal ball: Predictions for the week.
1. Jazz: 1-1
2. Cougar men: 1-1
3. Ute men: 1-1
4. Aggie men: 1-1
Poll question of the week: What are your thoughts? Poll to the left.
Which do you find the most compelling: NBA All-Star weekend, the Winter Olympics or this weekend’s college basketball games?
Parting thought: I hate goodbyes.
In honor of the Jazz playing the Lakers this week, I leave you with a link to an entertaining 1998 Sports Illustrated article analyzing the Jazz’s sweep of L.A. in the playoffs that year. The article refers to Malone and Stockton as “old geezers.” It's hard to believe it was really that long ago.
Nate Gagon is the author of the weekly sports column, Utah Sports Ruckus, and contributor for the Deseret News. He is also an entrepreneur, shoots roughly 94% from the foul line, and can be reached at email@example.com or @nategagon.
- College football predictions: How will 2014...
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars So'oto,...
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to...
- Peavler: Why the UConn game won't be a repeat...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall,...
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- The good, the bad and the most likely:...
- Hollis column: How well will 'Big Five'...
- College football predictions: How will... 66
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 45
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 38
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36
- Brad Rock: Five reasons Utes think... 35
- BYU football: Taysom Hill's experience,... 30
- UCLA defensive end Kylie Fitts... 30