I'm writing as a father of a daughter with cerebral palsy and epilepsy. I encourage support of Utah's HB105 in order to legalize the use of cannaboid oil as a therapeutic treatment for seizures. I thank Gage Froerer for introducing the bill.
My daughter suffered an in-utero stroke and was born with cerebral palsy. Her first seizures started at 8 months of age and have only ever been partially controlled with prescription medications and ketogenic diet. In 2011 our daughter qualified for a surgery which severed the nerves connecting the stroke-damaged side of her brain. Since then she has been seizure free, but it still makes me emotional to describe, because I know what it's like to fight for someone you care so deeply about.
This house bill is significant because it allows a therapeutic solution that offers tangible relief from seizures which are otherwise not controlled by medicine. There is stigma around the treatment because it is derived from a form of cannabis; but the amount of THC in the hybrid used is low enough to meet the federal definition of industrial hemp. The medicine is oral and non-psychoactive. Significant neuro-protective properties are found in CBD, and it causes fewer side effects than anti-seizure medications.
This bill offers hope to Utah families whose lives are impacted by epilepsy. This is a viable treatment to significantly reduce seizures for some people who are not otherwise able to control their seizures.
- My view: hippies, 2 Hell's Angels, one...
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- Radon, the unrecognized killer
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms of...
- My view: Online purchases are not tax-free
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- In our opinion: National security and... 23
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 20
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 16
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13
- Radon, the unrecognized killer 11