I'm writing as a father of a daughter with cerebral palsy and epilepsy. I encourage support of Utah's HB105 in order to legalize the use of cannaboid oil as a therapeutic treatment for seizures. I thank Gage Froerer for introducing the bill.
My daughter suffered an in-utero stroke and was born with cerebral palsy. Her first seizures started at 8 months of age and have only ever been partially controlled with prescription medications and ketogenic diet. In 2011 our daughter qualified for a surgery which severed the nerves connecting the stroke-damaged side of her brain. Since then she has been seizure free, but it still makes me emotional to describe, because I know what it's like to fight for someone you care so deeply about.
This house bill is significant because it allows a therapeutic solution that offers tangible relief from seizures which are otherwise not controlled by medicine. There is stigma around the treatment because it is derived from a form of cannabis; but the amount of THC in the hybrid used is low enough to meet the federal definition of industrial hemp. The medicine is oral and non-psychoactive. Significant neuro-protective properties are found in CBD, and it causes fewer side effects than anti-seizure medications.
This bill offers hope to Utah families whose lives are impacted by epilepsy. This is a viable treatment to significantly reduce seizures for some people who are not otherwise able to control their seizures.
- In our opinion: Despite dip in observance,...
- Turning back the tide of sexual promiscuity...
- Charles Krauthammer: The world according to...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Convention...
- Letter: Medical marijuana
- Letter: Wolves in Yellowstone
- Ralph Becker: Why 'process' matters in...
- Dan Liljenquist: Confronting Saudi Arabia's...
- In our opinion: People desire fair,... 49
- Letter: Constitutional republic 30
- Letter: Utah GOP divided 28
- Richard Davis: Medical marijuana issue... 24
- My view: New labor rule may harm Utah's... 24
- Letter: Respect the governor 21
- In our opinion: Troops in Syria makes... 21
- Robert J. Samuelson: Why tax reform is... 19