In Deb Vickery’s eyes, they’re all winners already. Surrounded by dozens of autographed posters from grateful skiers and snowboarders in her office in Carleson Hall — “Deb, You Make This Possible, Thank You!!!!” — she has nothing but good to say about her experience in dealing with the athletes.
“They come in here so thankful, so humble,” she says. “They’re just a pleasure to work with. They’re already mature and they’re good role models for our other students.”
She sounds like a proud parent when she gushes about their combined GPA of 3.56.
Their actual parents, she points out, are equally thankful. “They’ve double-mortgaged their houses, some of them, to put their kids through training,” says Deb. “So many of them couldn’t afford it any other way.”
And, she adds, the exposure for Westminster is just the kind of exposure Westminster wants — a responsible college responding to the needs of its community.
In addition to all that, it’s expanded Deb’s vocabulary.
Just the other day she was talking to a colleague about one of her snowboarders’ performance at the X Games, which she described like this:
“She had a sick jump and really hit that back 720.”
The colleague looked at her as if she was speaking Martian.
Stay tuned. The Olympics are on. More sick jumps from Westminster Griffins to come.
Lee Benson's About Utah column runs Mondays, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash shared...
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough discovery on...
- Why Syracuse mom killed her 2 daughters still...
- Film student, Sterling Scholar winner sees a...
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage in...
- Second victim found of Murray trucker accused...
- Deseret News/KSL 2014 Sterling Scholar award...
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 57
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 34
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 32
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 28
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on... 27
- Hatch, Lee call on federal government... 24
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 22
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 20