Utah Jazz report card: Jazz stun Miami Heat in 94-89 nail-biter
Matt Gade, Deseret News
The Utah Jazz stunned the Miami Heat Saturday night in Salt Lake City with a 94-89 win. The Jazz franchise now has an all-time record of 32-22 against the Heat.
After a quick-paced first quarter where Jazz forward Marvin Williams scored 12 of his 23 points, the Jazz played with confidence to keep the Heat on their toes throughout the game.
Miami stormed back in the second quarter with some great transition plays and an intense defensive effort. But forwards Alec Burks and Gordon Hayward kept the Jazz going with their mid-range game. Both players hit several jump shots to give the Jazz a 52-50 lead to end the first half.
Despite some reckless turnovers during the third quarter, the Jazz frustrated the Heat on the defensive end and held them to a low shooting percentage. The third quarter came to a close and the Jazz held strong with a two-point lead, 68-66. The Jazz are 14-2 this season when they have the lead after the third quarter.
It’s games like these that make Jazz fans bleed navy blue. The fourth quarter was one of the most exciting of any Jazz game this season. Williams and Trey Burke both hit timely shots with the clock winding down — the type of shots that got hearts pumping in EnergySolutions Arena and gave the building a healthy reminder of what kind of decibel level the walls can handle.
Burke ended the game with 13 points and three assists. “The coaches trusted me," he said after the game. "The players trusted me. I felt like some of the shots that I usually make weren’t falling tonight and haven’t been falling the past couple of games. But they continue to come to me and tell me to play, play with confidence. Don’t think about it, just play freely. That’s what I did tonight!”
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25