Utah Jazz report card: Jazz stun Miami Heat in 94-89 nail-biter
Matt Gade, Deseret News
The Utah Jazz stunned the Miami Heat Saturday night in Salt Lake City with a 94-89 win. The Jazz franchise now has an all-time record of 32-22 against the Heat.
After a quick-paced first quarter where Jazz forward Marvin Williams scored 12 of his 23 points, the Jazz played with confidence to keep the Heat on their toes throughout the game.
Miami stormed back in the second quarter with some great transition plays and an intense defensive effort. But forwards Alec Burks and Gordon Hayward kept the Jazz going with their mid-range game. Both players hit several jump shots to give the Jazz a 52-50 lead to end the first half.
Despite some reckless turnovers during the third quarter, the Jazz frustrated the Heat on the defensive end and held them to a low shooting percentage. The third quarter came to a close and the Jazz held strong with a two-point lead, 68-66. The Jazz are 14-2 this season when they have the lead after the third quarter.
It’s games like these that make Jazz fans bleed navy blue. The fourth quarter was one of the most exciting of any Jazz game this season. Williams and Trey Burke both hit timely shots with the clock winding down — the type of shots that got hearts pumping in EnergySolutions Arena and gave the building a healthy reminder of what kind of decibel level the walls can handle.
Burke ended the game with 13 points and three assists. “The coaches trusted me," he said after the game. "The players trusted me. I felt like some of the shots that I usually make weren’t falling tonight and haven’t been falling the past couple of games. But they continue to come to me and tell me to play, play with confidence. Don’t think about it, just play freely. That’s what I did tonight!”
- Getting back up off the ground: Utahn...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says Harvey...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that his...
- Utah State's Keeton getting Heisman hype
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 112
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 88
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 65
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 48
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 31
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 28
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 24