Utah Jazz report card: Jazz stun Miami Heat in 94-89 nail-biter
Matt Gade, Deseret News
The Utah Jazz stunned the Miami Heat Saturday night in Salt Lake City with a 94-89 win. The Jazz franchise now has an all-time record of 32-22 against the Heat.
After a quick-paced first quarter where Jazz forward Marvin Williams scored 12 of his 23 points, the Jazz played with confidence to keep the Heat on their toes throughout the game.
Miami stormed back in the second quarter with some great transition plays and an intense defensive effort. But forwards Alec Burks and Gordon Hayward kept the Jazz going with their mid-range game. Both players hit several jump shots to give the Jazz a 52-50 lead to end the first half.
Despite some reckless turnovers during the third quarter, the Jazz frustrated the Heat on the defensive end and held them to a low shooting percentage. The third quarter came to a close and the Jazz held strong with a two-point lead, 68-66. The Jazz are 14-2 this season when they have the lead after the third quarter.
It’s games like these that make Jazz fans bleed navy blue. The fourth quarter was one of the most exciting of any Jazz game this season. Williams and Trey Burke both hit timely shots with the clock winding down — the type of shots that got hearts pumping in EnergySolutions Arena and gave the building a healthy reminder of what kind of decibel level the walls can handle.
Burke ended the game with 13 points and three assists. “The coaches trusted me," he said after the game. "The players trusted me. I felt like some of the shots that I usually make weren’t falling tonight and haven’t been falling the past couple of games. But they continue to come to me and tell me to play, play with confidence. Don’t think about it, just play freely. That’s what I did tonight!”
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade their...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Living the dream: Controlled hoarding for a...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 121
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 66
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 32
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 24
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade... 11