Utah Jazz: Jazz pull off a shocker, beat the two-time defending champion Miami Heat
Showing the poise he displayed last year while leading Michigan to the NCAA championship game, Burke coolly sank a mid-range jumper with 24.2 seconds remaining to give the Jazz a more comfortable four-point lead after a Ray Allen 3-pointer brought Miami within two.
“The coaches trusted me. The players trusted me,” Burke said. “I felt like some of the shots that I usually make weren’t falling tonight and haven’t been falling the past couple of games. But they continue to come to me and tell me to play — play with confidence. Don’t think about it, just play freely. That’s what I did tonight.”
Surprisingly, the Heat didn’t.
Allen, Wade, James and Bosh all missed shots in the final 20 seconds as Miami fell for the third straight time in Utah.
In the loss, the Heat scored 15 points below their season average and only shot 43.3 percent — and that after hitting a franchise-record 63.4 percent against Utah in a 117-94 blowout in Miami in December.
“We played well enough defensively to win the game,” James said. “Offensively, we didn’t shoot the ball well like we are capable of doing. That is what it came down to.”
NOTES: Shooting guard Gordon Hayward flirted with a triple-double, amassing 11 assists, nine points and nine rebounds. ... Williams has now scored at least 20 points in three straight games. Utah has a 20-8 record against Miami at home. ... The Jazz don't play again until visiting Staples Center for a showdown with the Lakers on Tuesday. ... Miami beat the Clippers in L.A. on Wednesday and traveled to Utah on Friday while the Jazz played in Dallas. ... Utah improved to 14-2 when leading after three quarters.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21