BYU rugby opened the season with six wins and no losses at the Red Rock Invitational on Friday and Saturday with a scoring aggregate of 345-46.
“It was a good opportunity to see what we have to work with,” head coach David Smyth said. “There was some rust at times but we can address that and keep working to improve throughout the season.”
In Saturday’s first game, BYU beat UVU, 43-5, led by walk-on and former BYU track athlete John Lamont’s two tries. Freshman Jonah Lessard scored the try of the day with a chip kick and a regather from 50 meters out.
In the second game, the Cougars beat Weber State, 57-3. The Wildcats scored first, taking a 3-0 lead in the second minute after a BYU penalty. BYU then scored 55 straight on 10 tries. All-American Seki Kofi and winger Jordan Lowry each had two tries.
BYU beat UNLV, 48-0 in the final game, with eight tries coming from eight different players.
The Cougars used the full complement of the 52 traveling players over the weekend. Each of Saturday’s games was played with 20-minute halves.
“We had fun,” team captain Kyle Sumsion said. “This was good to finally play some real rugby again. We’re excited about what this team can do but we have to make sure to keep up the hard work.”
BYU returns to action next weekend when it travels to Saint Mary’s to take on the Gaels on Saturday, Feb. 15. SMU currently sits at 9-0 on the season.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: justinjgreen8@gmail.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- BYU holds on for 78-74 win over San Francisco
- BYU basketball analysis: Cougars' big men...
- Austin Collie signs with CFL's BC Lions,...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 74
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Peavler: BYU's recent basketball... 19
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies... 19
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain... 18