BYU rugby opened the season with six wins and no losses at the Red Rock Invitational on Friday and Saturday with a scoring aggregate of 345-46.
“It was a good opportunity to see what we have to work with,” head coach David Smyth said. “There was some rust at times but we can address that and keep working to improve throughout the season.”
In Saturday’s first game, BYU beat UVU, 43-5, led by walk-on and former BYU track athlete John Lamont’s two tries. Freshman Jonah Lessard scored the try of the day with a chip kick and a regather from 50 meters out.
In the second game, the Cougars beat Weber State, 57-3. The Wildcats scored first, taking a 3-0 lead in the second minute after a BYU penalty. BYU then scored 55 straight on 10 tries. All-American Seki Kofi and winger Jordan Lowry each had two tries.
BYU beat UNLV, 48-0 in the final game, with eight tries coming from eight different players.
The Cougars used the full complement of the 52 traveling players over the weekend. Each of Saturday’s games was played with 20-minute halves.
“We had fun,” team captain Kyle Sumsion said. “This was good to finally play some real rugby again. We’re excited about what this team can do but we have to make sure to keep up the hard work.”
BYU returns to action next weekend when it travels to Saint Mary’s to take on the Gaels on Saturday, Feb. 15. SMU currently sits at 9-0 on the season.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: justinjgreen8@gmail.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- 10 local storylines to follow as NFL training...
- Rock On: Props for Mitt and 'Tag
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise; is BYU...
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says it...
- BYU basketball officially adds transfer guard...
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to transfer to UVU
- College football countdown No. 36: BYU...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- The Clean Cut: New BYU football video... 15