In its first win of the season, all four events and the all-around were claimed by four different BYU gymnasts as the team finished with 194.900, just ahead of Utah State's 194.300, on Friday evening at the Smith Fieldhouse.
"We were finally back to doing the floor like BYU usually does floor," BYU head coach Brad Cattermole said. "The last couple of meets we just haven't performed up to our capability and tonight we did."
On the vault, BYU tied its season high score with 49.150 to beat Utah State’s 48.825. Sophomore Eliane Kulczyk set a new career high with a score of 9.925, which was also the top score in the event. Johnson and Madeline Nilsson tied their career highs, scoring 9.875 and 9.800, respectively. Hatch also tied her season high in the event with a 9.825.
The Cougars' 48.475 score on the bars was topped by the Aggies' 48.675. Highlighting the event was Johnson, who posted a 9.825, and junior Megan Bain Tidwell with a 9.800.
When BYU took to the balance beam, sophomore Emily Vidmar posted the high score of 9.850, which also happened to be her highest ever for this event. Hatch contributed a 9.800, tying her season high, as the team scored a 47.975, barely edging Utah State's 47.950.
Utah State entered the last event with a 146.350-145.600 advantage over BYU. But on the floor routine, BYU set a team season high score of 49.300, led by Johnson who obtained a 9.925 to set a new career high of her own to help secure the win. Hatch also added a 9.900 score while Jordan Schult, Tidwell and Kulczyk all set season highs, each receiving a 9.825.
BYU is on the road next week for a meet against Arizona State on Feb. 15 at 7 p.m. MST.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- BYU basketball: Tyler Haws passes Russell...
- BYU report card vs. San Francisco: Cougars...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 76
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 30
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24