Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The House approved a bill Friday that would allow the speed limit to be raised as high as 80 mph on highways and freeways throughout the state.
Rep. James Dunnigan, R-Taylorsville, the sponsor of HB80, said Utah has increased the posted speed limit to 80 mph on nearly 380 miles of freeway over the past five years.
"We’re finding out changing the number on the sign has not changed people’s behavior," Dunnigan said, citing Utah Department of Transportation studies that showed most drivers only upped their speed a few miles per hour.
"People have this kind of built-in comfort level, built-in speed limit," he said, noting UDOT determined that the deaths that have occurred on freeway sections with 80 mph speed limits were not related to the increase.
Dunnigan said his bill would permit UDOT to increase the speed limits on some sections of freeways in urban areas from 65 mph to 70 mph or 75 mph, and to 80 mph in less-populated areas of the state.
Higher speed limits do not have a negative impact on air quality, he said, even an increase of as much as 15 mph.
"I think we're all concerned about safety. I think we're all concerned about air quality," Dunnigan said. "It's hard to say what will happen in the future, but we have five years of data now."
The bill passed the House 63-8 and now goes to the Senate.
— Lisa Riley Roche
- Judge: Biological father will share custody...
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Senate committee snuffs out e-cigarettes...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Honeyville man, 39, identified as avalanche...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 55
- National, local businesses file briefs... 53
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 40
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 19
- Prison relocation resolution passes House 18
- Judge: Biological father will share... 18