Vice President Joe Biden sees no reason not to run for president. Others disagree
Carolyn Kaster, Associated Press
Vice President Joe Biden’s recent revelation to CNN’s Kate Bolduan that there’s “no obvious reason” to not run for president in 2016 has some begging to differ.
“This is pretty much in line with the way Biden has been talking about 2016 for some time,” the Christian Science Monitor’s Peter Grier wrote in reaction to the interview. “But it’s given lots of pundits an opportunity to play the savvy cynic and provide those no-go reasons Biden can’t imagine. Truth be told, that’s not hard to do.”
Among them, Grier lists Biden’s reputation to let gaffes “just pop out,” citing the veteran politician's most recent slip of comparing New York’s LaGuardia Airport to “some Third World country.” New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio was reportedly not pleased.
Another issue in the way of a Biden ticket in 2016 is the ever-present elephant (or donkey, if you will) in the room: Hillary Clinton.
“There's just one thing in the way of Joe Biden's presidential ambitions. Her name is Hillary Clinton,” The Washington Post’s Chris Cillizza says. “She is the biggest favorite for the Democratic presidential nomination since at least 1984.”
The vice president does have one thing going for him, according to MSNBC’s Jane C. Timm. “Biden clearly has the name recognition to launch a campaign.”
Either way, it’s important to note that speculating this early about a presidential run is no uncommon thing, especially since Clinton has yet to announce whether or not she will indeed be running in 2016.
“Right now, the presidential race is in the midst of the so-called ‘invisible primary,’” Grier wrote at the conclusion of his article. And Biden seems keen to keep his name in the ring as long as possible.
- My view: The solution to Utah's water problems
- In our opinion: Legislators need to better...
- Dan Liljenquist: What we learned from the...
- My view: Is the Division of Water Resources...
- My view: Get insurance out of health care
- My view: hippies, 2 Hell's Angels, one...
- Last year's Utah Compromise is a model in...
- Richard Davis: Do presidents have to be...
- Richard Davis: Do presidents have to be... 55
- My view: Get insurance out of health care 47
- My view: Obama's veto won't save Obamacare 34
- In our opinion: Attempting to... 32
- My view: 'Death with dignity' and... 27
- In our opinion: Concerned voters a good... 23
- Trump and Sanders 22
- John Hoffmire: Electric cars and the... 20