High school wrestling: Layton prevails in 5A divisional meet that resembled a traditional Region 1 tournament
SANDY — In an attempt to more accurately produce the top 16 wrestlers in each weight division, the 5A classification separated into dual divisional tournaments for the second consecutive season rather than customary regional meets.
The format may have changed, but the 5A divisional B qualifier still resembled a Region 1 tournament when Layton captured its second-straight team title with an overall score of 399 points, topping second-place finisher Syracuse, which tallied a score of 359.5.
Region 1 foes Davis (240.5) and Fremont (203.5) finished in the top four, while Westlake (196), American Fork (190.5), Lehi (173) and Northridge (144.5) rounded out the top eight teams at Alta High Thursday night.
Entering the championship round, Layton and Syracuse topped the entire field by more than 100 points and collectively featured grapplers in 13 title matches, including the 170-pound bout between Syracuse teammates Britton Butler and Sean Marchant, which Marchant ultimately won in a 2-0 decision.
After American Fork’s Cameron Hunsaker, only a sophomore, improved to 42-1 with a 5-0 decision over Syracuse’s Bryce Brimhall in the 106-pound division, the Titans received assistance from their own Brock George in the 113-pound class when he defeated Layton’s Braxton Ocana, 7-4, in a decision. The deficit, however, proved too much.
Similar to last season’s divisional title when Layton produced only two individual champions, the Lancers used depth to secure this year's title. In total, Layton had 16 wrestlers finish in the top eight spots in their respective weight classifications, including four individual champions: Andrew Astle (126 pounds), Colton Marshall, (152 pounds), Davis Marriott (160 pounds) and Landon Brown (195 pounds).
Additional individual champions were: Fremont’s Dallin Denton (120 pounds), American Fork’s Andrew Bartholomew (132 pounds), Alta’s Matt Findlay (138 pounds), Syracuse’s Teague Vigil (145 pounds), Davis’ Wyatt Koelling (182 pounds), Taylorsville’s Roy Nash (220 pounds) and Lehi’s Brackin Stringam (285 pounds).
Class 5A divisional B qualifier
At Alta High School
1. Layton, 399; 2. Syracuse, 359.5; 3. Davis, 240.5; 4. Fremont, 203.5; 5. Westlake, 196; 6. American Fork, 190.5; 7. Lehi, 173; 8. Northridge, 144.5; 9. Alta, 136; 10. Granger, 133; 11. Brighton, 117; 12. Taylorsville, 92 13. Hunter, 11.5.
Individual results (all qualify for state tournament)
106 — Championship, Cameron Hunsaker, American Fork def. Bryce Brimhall, Syracuse, 5-0; 3. Kade Evans, Davis; 4. Tanner Benedict, Layton; 5. Blake Barela, Fremont; 6. Keith Greeman, Davis; 7. Matthew Brink, Westlake; 8. John Tyler Stevens, Fremont.
113 — Championship, Brock George, Syracuse def. Braxton Ocana, Layton, 7-4; 3. Jake Brown, Layton; 4. Isaiah Mejia, Westlake; 5. Kyler Aullman, Syracuse; 6. Jentry Mcgary, American Fork; 7. Michael Jamiyandorj, Lehi; 8. Antonio Ruiz, Hunter.
120 — Championship, Dallin Denton, Fremont def. Colton Berger, Syracuse, 4-3; 3. Steven Quintana, Layton; 4. Walker Wilcox, Fremont; 5. Hayden Butler, Westlake; 6. Parker Edgington, Davis; 7. Brady Stout, Layton; 8. Tayler Durfee, American Fork.
126 — Championship, Andrew Astle, Layton def. Jackson Wilson, American Fork, 8-4; 3. Tristan Mcintosh, Northridge; 4. Baylor Green, Davis. 5. Micahel Sahyes Torees, Syracuse; 6. Kade Crittenden, Fremont; 7. Ryker Talbot, Fremont; 8. Colby Webb, Westlake.
132 — Championship, Andrew Bartholomew, American Fork def. Jaydon Rogers, Fremont, 12-10; 3. Zane Peterson, Fremont; 4. Brandon Wilson, Syracuse; 5. Nick Lokeni, Alta; 6. Landon Memmott, Layton; 7. Davis Reynaud, Brighton; 8. Craig Johnson, American Fork.
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 224
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 75
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 64
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 53
- ACC media days has some interesting... 42
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 34
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 32
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 25