Westminster basketball: offense erupts in 104-62 win against Dickinson
The Westminster College men’s basketball team put on an offensive clinic Thursday night as it defeated Dickinson State, 104-62, in Frontier Conference action at the Behnken Field House.
Westminster (14-10, 7-4 Frontier) surpassed the 100-point plateau for the first time since Nov. 2011. The 104 total points are tied for the second-most ever scored in a game. The Griffins shot 63.8 percent from the field and 57.9 percent from three — both season highs. They had a 46-24 edge in points in the paint and a 36-23 rebounding advantage.
Tallon Robertson anchored the team’s attack as the senior finished with 23 points on 10-of-12 shooting. He tied a school record with five blocked shots and grabbed eight rebounds with three assists and three steals.
The Griffins limited Dickinson State (7-16, 2-9) to 38.8 percent shooting and just 2-of-12 from beyond the arc. They forced the visitors into 19 turnovers and finished the game holding a 32-2 edge in points from turnovers. Westminster had a 43-24 lead in bench scoring and tallied 13 points from nine offensive rebounds.
Jordan Pryor used a 4-of-6 night from beyond the arc to finish with 18 points. That is the most Pryor has scored in a game since getting 22 on Nov. 29. Colton Moon also made four treys and finished with 14 points and five assists. Blake Skidmore added 12 points.
Tevin Russell led two Blue Hawks in double figures with 15 points. Ty Ackelson posted 11 points and two assists.
Westminster will be back in action Saturday when it hosts Carroll (Mont.) in the Behnken Field House at 7:30 p.m. MST.
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- Rock On: Bronco misses the mark, Utes given...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- Chase Fischer sets school record for...
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 92
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 58
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 41
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 41
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29